Key Differences for Obstetric Providers in 2010 Guidelines compared to 2002 Guidelines
- There are revised algorithms for GBS screening and use of intrapartum antibiotic prophylaxis (IAP) for women with threatened preterm delivery, including one algorithm for preterm labor and one for preterm premature rupture of membranes.
- Recommendations for IAP agents are presented in an algorithm format in an effort to promote use of the most appropriate antibiotic for penicillin-allergic women.
- A minor change has been made to penicillin dosing for those women not allergic to penicillin.
Resources for Obstetric Providers
- 2010 Guidelines for the Prevention of Perinatal Group B Streptococcal Disease
- Prevent Group B Strep App - standalone application provides patient-specific and scenario-specific guidance consistent with 2010 Guidelines.
Questions and Answers Relevant to Obstetric Providers
Algorithms Relevant to Obstetric Providers
- Algorithm for screening for group B streptococcal (GBS) colonization and use of intrapartum prophylaxis for women with preterm labor (PTL) [1 page].
- Algorithm for screening for group B streptococcal (GBS) colonization and use of intrapartum prophylaxis for women with preterm premature rupture of membranes (pPROM). [1 page]
- Recommended regimens for intrapartum antibiotic prophylaxis for prevention of early-onset group B streptococcal (GBS) disease [1 page].
- Algorithm for recommended laboratory testing for prenatal screening for group B streptococcal (GBS) colonization [1 page].
Tables Relevant to Obstetric Providers
- Indications and nonindications for intrapartum antibiotic prophylaxis to prevent early-onset group B streptococcal (GBS) disease [1 page].
- Procedures for collecting clinical specimens for culture of group B Streptococcus (GBS) at 35-37 weeks’ gestation [1 page].
Slide Sets Relevant to Obstetric Providers
Print Materials to Use With PatientsTop of Page
- 2010 Algorithms and Tables
Safe Healthcare Blog, Delivering GBS Prevention Guidelines
CDC blog post and comments
- Resources for Neonatal Providers
- Resources for Laboratorians
- 2002 GBS Prevention Guidelines
Instructions for the collection of a genital swab for the detection of GBS [1 page]
One page patient information sheet outlining instructions for self-collection of prenatal vaginal/rectal swabs in the outpatient setting for the detection of GBS. Courtesy of Suzanne Garland and Angela Guzys, Royal Women's Hospital, Melbourne Victoria, Australia.
- GBS ABCs Publications
- Page last reviewed: May 22, 2014
- Page last updated: June 1, 2014
- Content source: