IETA Eligibility Criteria
Minimum requirements for applicants include:
- Applicant must be employed by the Federal Government in one of the following Public Health Service (PHS) agencies for at least 12 months at the time of application: Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), Health Resource and Services Administration (HRSA), Indian Health Service (IHS), National Institutes of Health (NIH), Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), or the Office of Public Health and Science (OPHS) and other offices within the Office of the Secretary (OS), and other (PHS) agencies.
- Applicant must be a Federal employee at a minimum of GS-12 level or Commissioned Corps O-3 or above for at least 6 months at the time of application.
- Applicant must be in his or her current position for 12 or more consecutive months at the time of application. .
- Individuals enrolled in fellowship training programs (such as Epidemic Intelligence Service, Public Health Prevention Service, Emerging Leaders Program, Presidential Management Fellows) are not eligible.
- Applicant must have the written permission of first-level and second-level supervisors to be released for three mandatory workshops and one 12-week international assignment. The employing office must be willing to cover costs associated with all training, including travel to Atlanta, GA.
- Applicant must have a current full-year performance appraisal rating of at least fully successful or its equivalent. Commissioned Corps applicants must have a COER rating of at least "D". This rating must be submitted with your application package.
- Applicant may have no more than 3 consecutive months prior public health experience in low resource country.
- Participants must complete Department of State medical clearance after preliminary acceptance to the program. Any participant with a chronic illness may be refused clearance by the State Department. Their decision is final and will result in the applicant being dropped from the program.
- Applicants must be fully eligible for a government credit card and must have secured one before the first workshop.