CDC in Tonga
CDC Zika Updates
On January 22, 2016, CDC activated its Emergency Operations Center (EOC) to respond to outbreaks of Zika occurring in the Americas and increased reports of birth defects and Guillain-Barré syndrome in areas affected by Zika. On February 1, 2016, the World Health Organization declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) because of clusters of microcephaly and other neurological disorders in some areas affected by Zika. On February 8, 2016, CDC elevated its EOC activation to a Level 1, the highest level.
CDC is working with international public health partners and with state and local health departments to
- Alert healthcare providers and the public about Zika.
- Post travel notices and other travel-related guidance.
- Provide state health laboratories with diagnostic tests.
- Detect and report cases, which will help prevent further spread.
- U.S. Department of State International Travel Information: Tonga
- Health Information for Travelers to Tonga
- Government Visa Travel
- US Embassy to Tonga
- CIA Factbook: Tonga
- Global School-based Student Health Survey (GSHS): Tonga
- Immigrant, Refugee and Migrant Health
- Perspectives: Risks Travelers Face in Tonga
- Registration of Traveler Emergency Contact and Itinerary Information
- Protective Effect of Maritime Quarantine in South Pacific Jurisdictions, 1918–19 Influenza Pandemic
- Modeling the Impact of Pandemic Influenza on Pacific Islands
- Chagas Disease Fact Sheet
- Hepatitis A Information
- Hepatitis B Information
- Typhoid & Paratyphoid Fever Information
Yellow Fever and Malaria Information
- Considerations when choosing a drug for malaria prophylaxis
- Yellow Fever and Malaria Information: Tonga
- Global Health Programs: Malaria
- CDC Global Malaria website
- CDC Activities in the Amazon Region
- Malaria Information and Prophylaxis: Tonga
- Choosing a Drug to Prevent Malaria
- Page last reviewed: June 3, 2013
- Page last updated: June 3, 2013
- Content source:
Notice: Linking to a non-federal site does not constitute an endorsement by HHS, CDC or any of its employees of the sponsors or the information and products presented on the site.