CDC established an office in Brazil in 2003 to combat HIV/AIDS. CDC has since expanded to other health areas in Brazil and works closely with the Ministry of Health and other partners to maintain strong collaboration in program planning, monitoring and evaluation, strengthening epidemiologic surveillance, and building lab capacity.
Download Overview Fact Sheet
CDC office (physical presence)
0 U.S. Assignee
4 Locally Employed
Brazil at a Glance
Per capita income: $15,900
Life expectancy at birth women/men: 79/71 yrs
Infant mortality rate: 19/1000 live births
Population Reference Bureau World Population Data Sheet, 2014
Top 10 Causes of DeathSource: GBD Compare, 2013
- Low Back & Neck Pain 6%
- Ischemic Heart Disease 6%
- Cancer 4%
- Diabetes 4%
- Lower Respiratory Infections 3%
- Diarrheal Disease 2%
- Diabetes 2%
- Interpersonal Violence 3%
- Iron-deficiency anemia 2%
- HIV/AIDS 2%
What CDC Is Doing
CDC Zika Updates
On January 22, 2016, CDC activated its Emergency Operations Center (EOC) to respond to outbreaks of Zika occurring in the Americas and increased reports of birth defects and Guillain-Barré syndrome in areas affected by Zika. On February 1, 2016, the World Health Organization declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) because of clusters of microcephaly and other neurological disorders in some areas affected by Zika. On February 8, 2016, CDC elevated its EOC activation to a Level 1, the highest level.
CDC is working with international public health partners and with state and local health departments to
- Alert healthcare providers and the public about Zika.
- Post travel notices and other travel-related guidance.
- Provide state health laboratories with diagnostic tests.
- Detect and report cases, which will help prevent further spread.
- Page last reviewed: March 11, 2016
- Page last updated: March 11, 2016
- Content source:
Notice: Linking to a non-federal site does not constitute an endorsement by HHS, CDC or any of its employees of the sponsors or the information and products presented on the site.