Select CDC Publications and Surveillance Reports
- Griffin PM, Tauxe RV. The epidemiology of infections caused by Escherichia coli O157: H 7, other enterohemorrhagic E. coli, and the associated hemolytic uremic syndrome. Epidemiol Rev 1991;13:60-98.
Outbreaks and Epidemiology
- Neil KP, Biggerstaff G, MacDonald JK, et al. A novel vehicle for transmission of Escherichia coli O157:H7 to humans: multistate outbreak of E. coli O157:H7 infections associated with consumption of ready-to-bake commercial prepackaged cookie dough—United States, 2009. Clin Infect Dis 2012;54(4):511–518. Epub 2011 Dec 8.
- Bradley KK, Williams JM, Burnsed LJ, et al. Epidemiology of a large restaurant-associated outbreak of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O111:NM. Epidemiol Infect 2012;140(9):1644-1654.
- Brooks JT, Sowers EG, Wells JG, et al. Non-O157 Shiga toxin–producing Escherichia coli infections in the United States, 1983–2002. J Infect Dis 2005;192(8):1422.
- Rangel JM, Sparling PH, Well JG, et al. Epidemiology of Escherichia coli O157: H7 outbreaks, United States, 1982–2002. Emerg Infect Dis 2005;11(4):603—609.
Laboratory and Diagnosis
- Clogher P, Hurd, S, Hoefer, D, et al. Sharon Hurd, Assessment of physician knowledge and practices concerning Shiga toxin–producing Escherichia coli infection and enteric illness, 2009, Foodborne Diseases Active Surveillance Network (FoodNet). Clin Infect Dis 2012;54(suppl 5):S446–S452.
- Cronquist AB, Mody RK, Atkinson R, et al. Impacts of culture-independent diagnostic practices on public health surveillance for bacterial enteric pathogens. Clin Infect Dis 2012;54(suppl 5):S432–S439.
- Jones TF, Gerner-Smidt P. Nonculture diagnostic tests for enteric diseases. Emerg Infect Dis 2012;18(3):513–514.
- Hoefer D, Hurd S, Medus C, et al. Laboratory practices for the identification of Shiga toxin–producing Escherichia coli in the United States, FoodNet Sites, 2007. Foodborne Pathog Dis 2011;8(4):555–560. Epub 2010 Dec 27.
- Gould LH, Bopp C, Stockbine N, et al. Recommendations for diagnosis of Shiga toxin—producing Escherichia coli infections by clinical laboratories.” MMWR Recomm Rep 2009 Oct 16;58(RR-12);1–14.
- CDC. Importance of culture confirmation of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli infection as illustrated by outbreaks of gastroenteritis—New York and North Carolina, 2005. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2006;55(38);1042–1045.
- Swaminathan B, Barrett TJ, Hunter SB, Tauxe RV, the CDC PulseNet Task Force. PulseNet: the molecular subtyping network for foodborne bacterial disease surveillance, United States. Emerg Infect Dis 2001;7(3): 382–389.
- CDC. Diagnosis and management of foodborne illnesses: a primer for physicians and other health care professionals. MMWR Recomm Rep 2004 Apr 16;53(RR-04):1–33.
Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome
- Mody RK, Luna-Gierke RE, Jones TF, et al. Infections in Pediatric Postdiarrheal Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome: Factors Associated With Identifying Shiga Toxin-Producing Escherichia coli. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2012; August 6:1-8 [Epub ahead of print].
- Gould LH., Jordan JG, Dunn J, et al. Postdiarrheal hemolytic uremic syndrome in persons aged 65 and older in FoodNet sites, 2000–2006. J Am Geriatr Soc 2011;59(2): 366-368.
- Gould LH, Demma L, Jones TF, et al. Hemolytic uremic syndrome and death in persons with Escherichia coli O157: H7 infection, foodborne diseases active surveillance network sites, 2000–2006. Clin Infect Dis 2009;49(10): 1480.
- Gould LH, Seys S, Everstine K, et al. Recordkeeping practices of beef grinding activities at retail establishments. J Food Prot 2011;74(6): 1022-1004.
- Berger CN, Sodha SV, Shaw RK, et al. Minireview: fresh fruit and vegetables as vehicles for the transmission of human pathogens. Environ Microbiol 2010;12(9): 2385-2397. Epub 2010 Jul 15.
- Lynch MF, Tauxe RV, Hedberg CW. The growing burden of foodborne outbreaks due to contaminated fresh produce: risks and opportunities. Epidemiol Infect 2009;137(03):307-315.
CDC Surveillance Reports
National Laboratory-based Surveillance
- FoodNet Annual Reports, 1996–2010
- FDOSS Annual Reports
- NARMS Annual Reports, 1997–2010
- WBDOSS Annual Reports, 1971–2008