Community Health Worker (CHW) Toolkit
CDC has compiled evidence-based research that supports the effectiveness of CHWs in the Community Health Worker Toolkit. The toolkit also includes information that state health departments can use to train and further build capacity for CHWs in their communities, as well as helpful resources that CHWs can use within their communities.
- Community Preventive Services Task Force Findings: Interventions Engaging Community Health Workers for Cardiovascular Disease and Control
- A Community Health Worker Training Resource
- Technical Assistance Guide: Community Health Workers Technical Assistance Guide for 1305 Grantees [PDF-515K]
- Summary: State Laws for Community Health Workers [PDF-680K]
- Summary: CDC Support for Community Health Workers in Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion [PDF-274K]
- Summary: Interventions Engaging Community Health Workers for Cardiovascular Disease and Control [PDF-446K]
- Community Health Worker Policy Evidence Assessment Report [PDF-677K]
- Summary: Community Health Worker Policy Evidence Assessment Report [PDF-231K]
- Policy Brief: Addressing Chronic Disease through Community Health Workers [PDF-923K]
- Field Note: Clinical-Community Health Worker Initiative in the Mississippi Delta to Improve Cardiovascular Disease [PDF-246]
- Field Note: The St. Johnsbury, Vermont, Community Health Team Model to Improve Coordination of Care [PDF-364]
- Implementation Guide: The St. Johnsbury Community Health Team Model [PDF-1.6M]
- Online Course: Promoting Policy and Systems Change to Expand Employment of Community Health Workers
- Fotonovela: Controlling Hypertension by Learning to Control Sodium Intake [PDF-3.0M]
- Promotora Guide: Controlling Hypertension by Learning to Control Sodium Intake [PDF-1.0M]
- Promotora Guide: How to Control Your Fat and Cholesterol [PDF-783K]
- Summary: Community Health Workers Role in Million Hearts® Initiative [PDF-309K]
- Resumen: El Papel de los Promotores en el Iniciativa de Million Hearts® [PDF-438K]
- Barbero, C., Gilchrist, S., Chriqui, J.F., Martin, M., Wennerstrom, A., VanderVeur, J., Prewitt, K., & Brownstein, J.N. Do State Community Health Worker Laws Align with Best Available Evidence? J Community Health 2015 Oct; doi: 10.1007/s10900-015-0098-x.
Allen, C., Brownstein, J.N., Jayapaul-Philip, B., Matos, S., & Mirambeau, A. Strengthening the Effectiveness of State-Level Community Health Worker Initiatives Through Ambulatory Care Partnerships. J Ambul Care Manage 2015 Jul-Sep; 38(3): 254-62. doi: 10.1097/JAC.0000000000000085.