National Support to Enhance Implementation of Comprehensive Cancer Control Activities
CDC’s Division of Cancer Prevention and Control awarded RFA-DP13-1315, “National Support to Enhance Implementation of Comprehensive Cancer Control Activities,” to the American Cancer Society and George Washington Cancer Institute. They are funded to provide high-quality technical assistance and training to National Comprehensive Cancer Control Program (NCCCP)-funded programs and their partners. The five-year project began September 1, 2013.
The two funded organizations provide support to comprehensive cancer control (CCC) constituents in four focus areas—
- Local implementation of CCC activities.
- Identification and implementation of systems and environmental change strategies that promote health, support healthy behaviors, and facilitate community-clinical linkages to build support for interventions to prevent and reduce the cancer burden.
- Enhancement and sustainability of partnerships.
- Support for communication strategies to promote CCC program successes and leverage additional resources for cancer control and prevention.
About the Awardees
American Cancer Society
The American Cancer Society (ACS) provides training and technical assistance to NCCCPs. The organization:
- Helps the NCCCPs build and maintain strong partnerships with their coalitions.
- Develops and delivers trainings to the NCCCPs on local implementation (cancer control and prevention at the community level), evaluation, and communication.
- Helps the NCCCPs build strong partnerships with cancer prevention, screening, and follow-up providers (community clinics, physicians, navigators).
- Develops and makes available resource materials such as the Policy, Systems, and Environmental (PSE) Change Resource Guide. [PDF-3.5MB]
George Washington Cancer Institute
The George Washington Cancer Institute (GW) developed and maintains the Cancer Control Technical Assistance Portal (TAP), an online resource for the NCCCPs. TAP includes:
- A resource repository containing cancer control and prevention resources from CDC, GW, the Comprehensive Cancer Control National Partners (CCCNP), cancer control coalitions, and other CCC stakeholders.
- The GW Cancer Control Technical Assistance Periodical, a monthly e-newsletter that highlights new webinars, trainings, events, resources, and funding opportunities.
- An archive for webinars and online learning modules produced by GW.