Arica White, PhD, MPH
Arica White, PhD, MPH, is a Senior Service Fellow in the Division of Cancer Prevention and Control (DCPC's) Epidemiology and Applied Research Branch. In July 2009, she joined the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as an Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer in DCPC. Her research interests focus on understanding disparities in cancer screening, treatment, quality of care, and survivorship. Dr. White leads research projects exploring racial/ethnic and geographic disparities in breast and colorectal cancer treatment, mortality, and survival.
Dr. White also has a strong interest in using cancer registry data, especially when linked to other outcomes datasets, to research cancer prevention and control. She is a certified tumor registrar and has experience working as a research analyst in a state cancer registry. She was instrumental in creating the nation's first bachelor's degree program in cancer registration, which was an effort to address the shortage of cancer registrars in the workforce.
Dr. White completed her undergraduate education at Johns Hopkins University, and earned her master of public health degree from University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. She also completed a PhD in epidemiology at the University of Texas School of Public Health (UTSPH). During her tenure at UTSPH, she was predoctoral fellow in the Cancer Education and Career Development Program, a training grant funded by the National Cancer Institute.
The most recent articles Dr. White has first-authored include—
- 2012 Racial and ethnic differences in health status and health behavior among breast cancer survivors.
- 2011 Racial and ethnic disparities in colorectal cancer screening persisted despite expansion of Medicare's screening reimbursement.
- 2011 Cancer survivors—United States, 2007.
- 2011 Racial/ethnic disparities in survival among men diagnosed with prostate cancer in Texas.
- 2010 Racial disparities in colorectal cancer survival: to what extent are racial disparities explained by differences in treatment, tumor characteristics, or hospital characteristics?
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control
4770 Buford Hwy NE
Atlanta, GA 30341
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC-INFO