Gery P. Guy Jr., PhD, MPH
Gery P. Guy Jr., PhD, MPH, is a health economist in the Division of Cancer Prevention and Control’s Epidemiology and Applied Research Branch. Dr. Guy’s areas of research include health insurance, health care access and utilization, cost of illness, and cost effectiveness. Dr. Guy has led research projects examining the economic burden of skin cancer, indoor tanning in the United States, the economic burden of cancer survivorship, and the costs and cost-effectiveness of colorectal cancer screening.
Dr. Guy received his undergraduate degree from the University of Rochester, a master of public health in health policy from the Rollins School of Public Health at Emory University, and a doctorate in health services research and health policy with a concentration in economics from Emory University. In 2013, he completed a two-year postdoctoral fellowship in Prevention Effectiveness at CDC. He is a recipient of the CDC Steven M. Teutsch Prevention Effectiveness Fellowship Outstanding Fellow Award.
Recent articles Dr. Guy has authored include—
- 2014 Trends in indoor tanning among U.S. high school students, 2009–2013.
- 2014 Indoor tanning-related injuries treated in a national sample of U.S. hospital emergency departments.
- 2014 Variations in guideline-concordant breast cancer adjuvant therapy in rural Georgia.
- 2014 Prevalence and costs of skin cancer treatment in the U.S., 2002–2006 and 2007–2011.
- 2014 Estimating the health and economic burden of cancer among those diagnosed as adolescents and young adults.
- 2014 Costs and benefits of an organized fecal immunochemical test-based colorectal cancer screening program in the United States.
- 2014 Indoor tanning among high school students in the United States, 2009 and 2011.
- 2014 State indoor tanning laws and adolescent indoor tanning.
- 2013 Indoor tanning among young non-Hispanic white females.
- 2013 The economic burden of cancer survivorship among adults in the United States.
- 2012 Visit duration for outpatient physician office visits among patients with cancer.
- 2012 Melanoma treatment costs: a systematic review of the literature, 1990–2011.
- 2011 Years of potential life lost and indirect costs of melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancer: a systematic review of the literature.
- 2011 Use of indoor tanning devices by high school students in the United States, 2009.
- 2011 The health burden and economic costs of cutaneous melanoma mortality by race/ethnicity—United States, 2000 to 2006.
Dr. Guy is featured in the following podcasts—
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Division of Cancer Prevention and Control
c/o CDC Warehouse
3719 N Peachtree Rd
Building 100 MS F-76
Chamblee GA 30341
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC-INFO