Division of Epidemiology, Analysis, and Library Services (DEALS)
The mission of the Division of Epidemiology, Analysis, and Library Services (DEALS) is to collaborate with our CDC, state, local and global public health partners to create and promote quality, timely and useful cross-cutting scientific products and services. We do this to strengthen the science of public health and ultimately to improve public health decision making.
DEALS has three Branches: Community Guide Branch (CGB), Analytic Tools and Methods Branch (ATMB), and the Library Science and Services Branch (LSSB). The delivery of products and services that support public health programs and science is the essence of DEALS’ program activities.
- The Analytic Tools and Methods Branch (ATMB) supports collaborative development and dissemination of epidemiological and analytical tools and methods for improving population health. The portfolio of cross-cutting projects and activities includes measurement of population health and health disparities, assessment of health and economic impact, guidance and support for community health assessment and improvement (including the Community Health Assessment for Population Health Improvement monograph and the Community Health Status Indicators (CHSI) website), data management and analytic capacity building, and Epi Info™ software for data collection, management, and analysis. In addition, the ATM Branch coordinates access to Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) and Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) health data sets for the entire agency.
- The Community Guide Branch (CGB) supports the Community Preventive Services Task Force (Task Force). The Task Force recommendations, and the systematic reviews on which they are based, are compiled in the Guide to Community Preventive Services (The Community Guide). The Community Guide is an essential resource for people who want to know what works in public health and provides evidence-based recommendations about public health programs, services, and policies to improve health and promote safety.
- The Library Science and Services Branch (LSSB) supports CDC’s Public Health Library and Information Center which has served as a hub of research, information exchange, and learning for the CDC community since the establishment of the Communicable Disease Center in 1946.
- Organizational host for the Statistical Advisory Group.
- Page last reviewed: November 1, 2013
- Page last updated: November 1, 2013
- Content source: