Information for Families
This section of the website has tools and information about spina bifida for families.
Spina bifida affects the entire family. Meeting the complex needs of a person affected by spina bifida involves the whole family and can be challenging at times. However, finding resources, knowing what to expect, and planning for the future can help.
Facts about Spina Bifida
Information about spina bifida, including causes, types, and diagnosis.
Information about some of the common complications and treatments.
Living with Spina Bifida
Information and resources on living with spina bifida at various ages, including physical health, independent living, and safety.
It might be helpful to talk with parents who have a child with the same condition. To find others in the spina bifida community, click on the following links:
- The Spina Bifida Association’s website is a great place to connect with other families. Visit this website to find a local chapter near you.
- The Spina Bifida Association Listservs bring people together online to discuss topics such as parenting a child with spina bifida and growing up with spina bifida.
National Resource Center: Get information and find clinics or health care providers who are experts in spina bifida.
- Preparations Website: Resource about becoming an Adult Living Successfully with Spina Bifida
View, print, and order brochures and fact sheets about spina bifida.
- Page last reviewed: August 5, 2014
- Page last updated: August 5, 2014
- Content source: