Protecting Healthcare Personnel
This 12-minute video, developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provides demonstrations of donning and removal of personal protective equipment and appropriate hand hygiene. The goal of this program is to increase the safety of the healthcare work environment and promote patient safety through improved use of PPE by healthcare personnel.
Guidance for the Selection and Use of Personal Protective Equipment in Healthcare Settings
CDC has developed this slide set for use by staff development, infection control, and occupational health personnel for training healthcare personnel on how to select and use personal protective equipment PPE to protect themselves from exposure to microbiological hazards in the healthcare setting.
Available Formats for download:
- MS PowerPoint [PPT - 1.45 MB]
- Adobe [PDF - 285 KB]
- Trainers Information
Important information about the slideset, how to use it and training suggestions
Sequence for Donning and Removing Personal Protective Equipment
This colorful 13"x22" poster demonstrates the sequences for donning and removing PPE . The poster provides key instructions in both English and Spanish to reinforce safe practices and is intended to limit the spread of contamination.
You may download electronic versions of the posters for printing and distribution or order 13" x 22" posters from the Public Health Foundation.
Protecting Healthcare Personnel from HIV
- Updated U.S. Public Health Service Guidelines for the Management of Occupational Exposures to HIV and Recommendations for Post-Exposure Prophylaxis MMWR September 30, 2005 / 54(RR09);1-17
- Exposure to Blood What Healthcare Personnel Need to Know [PDF - 330 KB] July 2003
- Updated U.S. Public Health Service Guidelines for the Management of Occupational Exposures to HBV, HCV, and HIV and Recommendations for Postexposure Prophylaxis MMWR June 29, 2001 / 50(RR11);1-42
- Appendix A. Practice Recommendations for Health-Care Facilities Implementing the U.S. Public Health Service Guidelines for Management of Occupational Exposures to Bloodborne Pathogens MMWR June 29, 2001 / 50(RR11);43-44
- Appendix B. Management of Occupational Blood Exposures MMWR June 29, 2001 / 50(RR11);45-46
- Appendix C. Basic and Expanded HIV Postexposure Prophylaxis Regimens MMWR June 29, 2001 / 50(RR11);47-52
- Preventing Needlestick Injuries in Healthcare Settings NIOSH 1999
- Guidelines for Infection Control in Healthcare Personnel, 1998 [PDF - 1.04 MB]
- Evaluation of Safety Devices for Preventing Percutaneous Injuries Among Healthcare Workers During Phlebotomy Procedures 1993-1995. MMWR 1997
- Evaluation of Blunt Suture Needles in Preventing Percutaneous Injuries Among Healthcare Workers During Gynecologic Surgical Procedures March 1993-June 1994. MMWR 1997
- Case-control study of HIV seroconversion in Healthcare worker after percutaneous exposure to HIV-infected blood MMWR 1995
- USPHS/IDSA Guidelines for the prevention of opportunistic infections in persons infected with human immunodeficiency virus: a summary. MMWR 1995
- Guidelines for preventing the transmission of HIV through transplantation of human tissue and organs. MMWR 1994
- Use of vaccines and immune globulin in persons with altered immunocompetence (Recommendations of the ACIP). MMWR 1993 Recommendations for HIV testing services for inpatients and outpatients in acute-care hospital settings. MMWR 1993
- Recommendations for Preventing Transmission of Human Immunodeficiency Virus and Hepatitis B Virus to Patients During Exposure-Prone Invasive Procedures MMWR July 12, 1991 / 40(RR08)
- Guidelines for Prevention of Transmission of Human Immunodeficiency Virus and Hepatitis B Virus to Health-Care and Public-Safety Workers A Response to P.L. 100-607 The Health Omnibus Programs Extension Act of 1988 MMWR June 23, 1989 / 38(S-6);3-37
- CDC's Perspectives in Disease Prevention and Health Promotion Update: Universal Precautions for Prevention of Transmission of Human Immunodeficiency Virus, Hepatitis B Virus, and Other Bloodborne Pathogens in Health-Care Settings - MMWR June 24, 1988 / 37(24);377-388
- CDC Recommendations for prevention of HIV transmission in Healthcare settings MMWR August 21, 1987 / 36(SU02);001