Clinical practice guides for the management of sepsis were developed by the Surviving Sepsis Campaign (SSC)external icon (a collaboration of the Society of Critical Care Medicine and the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine). These guidelines were updated in 2016.
The Surviving Sepsis Campaign partnered with the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) to create bundles to help frontline providers implement the guidelines.
Bundles for Implementing Sepsis Guidelines
- Guidelines and Bundlesexternal icon (Surviving Sepsis Campaign)
- Severe Sepsis Bundlesexternal icon (IHI – free registration required)
Education and Training
- A Matter of Life and Death: How States Are Tackling Sepsis as Public Policyexternal icon (Association of State and Territorial Health Officials Public Health Review podcast)
- DARTexternal icon: An evidence-driven tool to guide the early recognition and treatment of sepsis and septic shock. (American College of Emergency Physicians)
- Surviving Sepsis Campaign, The Takeaways [4:09]external icon (Medscape Expert Commentary)
- Resource Libraryexternal icon (Surviving Sepsis Campaign)
- Community Based Sepsisexternal icon: Educational Webinar Programs (Quality Improvement Organizations)
- Sepsis Standard Work: Improving Compliance with Early Recognition and Management of Perinatal Sepsis [Video – 1:04] and Detailed Continuing Education Information pdf icon[PDF – 4 pages]
- Empowering Nurses for Early Sepsis Recognition [Video – 1:01:40]
- Advances in Sepsis: Protecting Patients Throughout the Lifespan [Video – 58:47]
- Think Sepsis and Act Fast [4:17]external icon (Medscape Expert Commentary)
Sepsis Screening and Assessment Tools
A bundle is a short, straightforward set of evidence-based practices intended to improve patient outcomes. Bundles were developed by the Institute for Healthcare Improvement to help health care providers more reliably deliver the best possible care for patients.
Infection Control Guidelines
Selected textbook and journal articles on sepsis.
- Angus, DC, van der Poll, T. Severe Sepsis and Septic Shockexternal icon. N Engl J Med 2013;369:840-51.
- Han J, Cribbs SK, Martin GS. Chapter 64: Sepsis, Severe Sepsis, and Septic Shockexternal icon. In: Hall JB, Schmidt GA, Kress JP. eds. Principles of Critical Care, 4e. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2015.
- Felner K, Smith RL. Chapter 138. Sepsisexternal icon. In: McKean SC, Ross JJ, Dressler DD, Brotman DJ, Ginsberg JS. eds. Principles and Practice of Hospital Medicine. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2012.
- Munford RS, Suffredini AF. Chapter 70. Sepsis, Severe Sepsis, and Septic Shock. In: Mandell GL, Bennett JE, Dolin R. eds. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett’s Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2010