Employers should protect their workers from venomous snake bites by training them about:
- Their risk of exposure to venomous snakes
- How to identify venomous snakes
- How to prevent snake bites
- What they should do if they are bitten by a snake
Workers should take the following steps to prevent a snake bite:
- Do not try to handle any snake.
- Stay away from tall grass and piles of leaves when possible.
- Avoid climbing on rocks or piles of wood where a snake may be hiding.
- Be aware that snakes tend to be active at night and in warm weather.
- Wear boots and long pants when working outdoors.
- Wear leather gloves when handling brush and debris.
Page last reviewed: May 31, 2018
Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health