Venomous Snakes: Employer & Worker Recommendations
Employers should protect their workers from venomous snake bites by training them about:
- their risk of being bitten by venomous snakes,
- how to identify venomous snakes,
- how to prevent snake bites, and
- what they should do if they see a snake or if a snake bites them.
Workers should take these steps to prevent a snake bite:
- Do not touch or handle any snake.
- Stay away from tall grass and piles of leaves when possible.
- Avoid climbing on rocks or piles of wood where a snake may be hiding.
- Be aware that snakes tend to be most active at dawn and dusk and in warm weather.
- Wear boots and long pants when working outdoors. Even denim jeans may prevent some, although not all, bites by smaller snakes.
- Wear leather gloves when handling brush and debris.