Fighting Wildfires – Reports
Wildland Firefighters conduct mop-up operations along a fire's edge. Image provided by US Forest Service Technology and Development Program.
Fire Fighter Fatality Investigation and Prevention Program (FFFIPP)
The NIOSH Fire Fighter Fatality Investigation and Prevention Program conducts investigations of firefighter line-of-duty deaths to formulate recommendations for preventing future deaths and injuries.
For a comprehensive listing of FFFIPP reports, please search the Fatality Investigation Reports.
- One Fire Fighter Dies and One Fire Fighter Burned during Firefighting Operations at a Grass Fire – Texas, 2018
- 56-Year-Old Fire Fighter Suffers Cardiac Arrest at Brush Fire – New Hampshire, 2016
- Fire Fighter Suffers a Heart Attack at Brush Fire and Dies 8 Days Later – Vermont, 2016
- Wildland fire superintendent dies from heart attack after performing physical fitness training – Idaho, 2015
- Wildland fire fighter dies from hyperthermia during pack test – Arizona, 2015
- Fire crew supervisor suffers sudden cardiac death during pack test – Wyoming, 2014
- Lieutenant suffers sudden cardiac death during the “Pack Test” – Arizona, 2014
- Fire fighter suffers sudden cardiac death while working at a grass fire – Mississippi, 2014
- Volunteer Fire Fighter Dies in Tanker Crash En Route to Grass Fire – Indiana, 2014
- Volunteer fire chief suffers cardiac arrest at brush fire – North Carolina, 2013
- Forest Fire Service Fire Fighter Monitoring Prescribed Burn from Roadway is Struck and Killed When Smoke Obscures Visibility Following a Wind Shift – New Jersey, 2013
- Wildland Fire Fighter Suffers Sudden Cardiac Death During Campfire Patrol – New Mexico, 2013
- Wildland fire fighter trainee suffers sudden cardiac death during physical fitness exercise – California, 2012
- Wildland fire fighter dies from hyperthermia and exertional heatstroke while conducting mop-up operations – Texas, 2011
- Volunteer fire fighter dies and three fire fighters are injured during wildland fire – Texas, 2011
- Volunteer fire fighter dies and 5 volunteer fire fighters are injured during wildland urban interface fire – Texas, 2011