Services CDC/NIOSH Can Provide to Employers and Employees Involved in a Hurricane Recovery
NIOSH is part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the Department of Health and Human Services. CDC/NIOSH is the federal agency which evaluates and makes recommendations for the prevention of work-related injury and illness.
- Evaluate workplace problems from a broad public health perspective utilizing physician epidemiologists, industrial hygienists, industrial psychologists, and engineers
- Brief workers concerning the health and exposure risks of concern following the hurricane, including flood waters and sediment, debris, mold, odors, heat stress, work stress, infectious disease, risks of handling human and animal remains, etc.
- Evaluate illness, injury and workplace stress through confidential questionnaires, record reviews, employee interviews, measurement of exposures, and medical testing, if needed.
- Measure heat stress, noise, and air contaminants such as dust, metals, silica, volatile organic compounds, formaldehyde, and other indoor pollutants.
- Provide guidance on controlling exposures, including engineering controls, administrative controls, and use of appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Provide a final written report through CDC to the employees and employees.
- Employees, authorized representatives of employees, or employers can request an evaluation of possible health hazards associated with a job or workplace. Requests for HHEs must be in writing to NIOSH and must specify those work areas and potential hazards which need to be evaluated
Employees, unions, or employers can request an evaluation of possible health hazards associated with a job or workplace.
You can request an evaluation using one of the following methods:
- Fax: 513-841-4488
- Mail: NIOSH, Health Hazard Evaluation Program
4676 Columbia Parkway, R-9
Cincinnati, Ohio 45226
For more information about the HHE Program:
Call Us: 1-800-CDC-INFO (800-232-4636)
Email Us: HHERequestHelp@cdc.gov
If you are an employee, you can mark on the form that you do not want your name revealed to your employer.