Caring for Yourself While Caring for Others
This training program was prepared through the coordination of three NIOSH lead authors: Sherry Baron (recently retired, Division of Surveillance, Hazard Evaluation, and Field Studies); Leslie Nickels (Research Translation Office); and Christy Forrester (Research Translation Office). The authors appreciate the time and effort that many individuals took to share their expertise, contribute to the development of the training materials, provide review and suggestions for improvement, and assist in the final production of the web-hosted training program.
The authors acknowledge the following organizations and individuals in the development of the training materials, including
- University of California Berkeley, Labor Occupational Health Program for their development of the initial California state-based version of Caring for Yourself While Caring for Others in collaboration with the Service Employees International Union-United Long Term Care Workers and the Public Authority for In-Home Supportive Services in Alameda County. Also, to Underground Advertising who did the creative and graphic design, Mary Ann Zapalac who did the illustrations and Carol Lloyd who did much of the writing.
- Donna Van Bogaert, Education and Information Division, NIOSH (Writer, Executive Director, and Executive Producer) for contributing to product strategy and translating content for and producing the multimedia components of the program. Also to the Media Working Group: Jean Donohue and Tim Kraus (Producers/Directors); Mark Stucker (Director of Photography), and Kevin Lewis and Media Stew (Post Production).
- Maureen Sheahan for curriculum development.
- Jackie Baker for graphic design.
In addition, the authors gratefully recognize the many content experts and organizations which provided valuable feedback to draft versions of the training materials. Many of the ideas raised by these reviewers have been incorporated into this training program. Specifically, the authors would like to thank
- Laura Stock, Labor Occupational Health Program, University of California Berkeley
- Linda Ayala, Alameda Alliance for Health, Oakland, CA
- Jane Lipscomb, University of Maryland, School of Nursing
- Margaret Quinn, University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Robyn Gershon, University of California, San Francisco
- Pia Markkanen, University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Joseph Zanoni, University of Illinois, School of Public Health
- Marsha Love, University of Illinois, School of Public Health
- Susan Sama, University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Hado Byron, University of Maryland, School of Nursing
- Douglas Trout, Division of Surveillance, Hazard Evaluation, and Field Studies, NIOSH
- Everett Lehman, Division of Surveillance, Hazard Evaluation, and Field Studies, NIOSH
The authors also extend special thanks to the invaluable contributions of the NIOSH Writer-Editor Team, Visual Communications Team, and Web Team. Most notably, the authors thank John Lechliter and Seleen Collins for their careful review, editing, and technical writing assistance; Vanessa Williams, Gino Fazio, and Nikki Romero for enhancing the content with creative, appealing, and accessible visual design; and Glenn Doyle, Christopher Storms, Kurt DiPaolo, Mary Micciche, and Tonya White for coding, design, and management of the web pages.