03/02/2020: Lab Update: Laboratory Biosafety COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions
Audience: Clinical Laboratory Professionals
Level: Laboratory Update
Laboratory Biosafety COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions
Please note the CDC’s COVID-19 Information for Laboratories web page was updated on March 2, 2020. This revision includes an update to the Laboratory Biosafety Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to clarify practices for working inside a BSC and additional FAQs. These revisions include:
- Using a certified biological safety cabinet (BSC) for specimen processing and what to do when a BSC is not available
- Definition of Standard Precautions
- Definitions for aerosols and droplets
- Laboratory procedures that can generate aerosols and droplets
For additional information related to the Interim Laboratory Biosafety Guidelines for Handling and Processing Specimens Associated with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), please refer to the CDC Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Laboratory Biosafety website.
The COVID-19 website is regularly updated as CDC learns more about COVID-19 and the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Please check the website routinely to ensure your laboratory staff has the most up-to-date information. Consider asking your web developer or IT team to add CDC’s Coronavirus Disease 2019 Microsite to your website for real-time content updates, including the Information for Laboratories subsite.
- CDC Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Laboratory Biosafety
- CDC Information for Laboratories: COVID-19
- CDC Coronavirus Disease 2019
- Register for CDC Health Alert Network (HAN) notifications, including updates about COVID-19. Enter your email address, search for HAN, and sign-up.
- Add CDC’s Coronavirus Disease 2019 Microsite to your website for real-time content updates.
If you have any questions, please contact us at LOCS@cdc.gov.