09/19/2020: Lab Advisory: COVID-19 ELR Flat File for Laboratory Data Reporting
Audience: Clinical Laboratory Professionals
Level: Laboratory Advisory
CDC, the Association of Public Health Laboratories (APHL), and the Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists (CSTE) collaborated with federal and private sector partners to create a standardized electronic laboratory reporting (ELR) flat file as an option to report the required COVID-19 laboratory data elements under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act and the HHS Lab Data Reporting Guidance released on June 4, 2020. COVID-19 testing sites may use this file to uniformly report to state health departments. Laboratories that are successfully reporting electronically to state or local health departments do not need to change their process for reporting to public health.
The HHS guidance requires every COVID-19 testing site to report specific data elements for every COVID-19 test (e.g., molecular, antigen) performed. The data are to be reported to the appropriate state, local, tribal, or territorial health department, based on the tested individual’s residence.
- How to Report COVID-19 Laboratory Data
- COVID-19 Lab Data Reporting Implementation Specifications
- HHS Laboratory Reporting Guidance
- LOINC In Vitro Diagnostic (LIVD) Test Code Mapping for SARS-CoV-2 Tests
- Interoperability Standards Advisory for COVID-19 Pandemic
- COVID-19 Information for Laboratories
- Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19 for Laboratories
- CDC Laboratory Outreach Communication System (LOCS)
- Clinical Laboratory COVID-19 Response Calls
For more information, visit the Clinical Laboratory COVID-19 Response Call website.
For questions, please contact us at LOCS@cdc.gov.
The Laboratory Outreach Communication System