After You Apply
Phase I Review
All applications will be reviewed initially for completeness by CDC PGO staff and will be reviewed jointly for eligibility by the CDC NCHHSTP and PGO. Incomplete applications and applications that do not meet the eligibility criteria will not advance to Phase II review. Applicants will be notified that their applications did not meet eligibility or published submission requirements.
Phase II Review
A review panel will evaluate complete, eligible applications in accordance with the criteria below.
Approach Maximum Points: 50
- Presents outcomes that are consistent with the project period outcomes described in the CDC Project
- Description and logic model.
- Describes an overall strategy and activities consistent with the CDC Project Description and logic model.
- Describes strategies and activities that are achievable, appropriate to achieve the outcomes of the project, and evidence-based (to the degree practicable).
- Shows that the proposed use of funds is an efficient and effective way to implement the strategies and activities and attain the project period outcomes.
- Describes any proposed evaluation studies in sufficient detail to identify the key evaluation questions, and data sources and analysis methods.
Evaluation and Performance Measurement Maximum Points: 25
- Shows/affirms the ability to collect data on the process and outcome performance measures specified by CDC in the project description and presented by the applicant in their approach.
- Describes clear monitoring and evaluation procedures and how evaluation and performance measurement will be incorporated into planning, implementation, and reporting of project activities.
- Describes how performance measurement and evaluation findings will be reported, and used to demonstrate the outcomes of the FOA and for continuous program quality improvement.
- Describes how evaluation and performance measurement will contribute to developing an evidence base for programs that lack a strong effectiveness evidence base.
- Describes any evaluation studies they are to undertake. Describe in sufficient detail to identify the key evaluation questions, and data sources and analysis methods.
Applicants Organizational Capacity to Implement the Approach Maximum Points: 25
- Demonstrates relevant experience and capacity (management, administrative, and technical) to implement the activities and achieve the project outcomes.
- Demonstrates experience and capacity to implement the evaluation plan.
- Provides a staffing plan and project management structure that will be sufficient to achieve the project outcomes and which clearly defines staff roles. Provides an organizational chart.
Note: Not more than thirty days after the Phase II review is completed, applicants will be notified electronically if their application does not meet eligibility or published submission requirements.
Phase III Review
Applications will be funded in order by score and rank determined by the review panel. The following factors also may affect the funding decision:
- Geographic diversity
- Representation of target population
- Inclusion of people with disabilities
- Available funding
- Expansion of HIV prevention approaches