Social Media Library
The messages below are intended for organizations, public health officials, and the public to use with social media tools such as Twitter and Facebook. Each message is 140 characters or less, per Twitter requirements. These messages may be used as written or customized to address local or other specific needs.
Social Media Library
Why Wash Hands?
When to Wash Hands
- When should you wash your hands?http://go.usa.gov/Xppx
- Wash hands before, during & after preparing food & before eating. http://go.usa.gov/Xppx
- Wash hands before & after caring for someone who is sick. http://go.usa.gov/Xppx
- Wash hands before & after treating a cut or wound. http://go.usa.gov/Xppx
- Wash hands after using the toilet. http://go.usa.gov/Xppx
- Wash hands after changing diapers or cleaning up a child who has used the toilet. http://go.usa.gov/Xppx
- Wash hands after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. http://go.usa.gov/Xppx
- Wash hands after touching an animal, animal feed, or animal waste. http://go.usa.gov/Xppx
- Wash hands after touching garbage. http://go.usa.gov/Xppx
How to Wash Hands
Follow 5 steps to wash your hands the right way. http://go.usa.gov/Xppx
- Wet hands with clean, running water, turn off tap & apply soap.
- Lather – rub hands together w/ soap, including backs of hands, between fingers & under nails.
- Scrub hands for at least 20 seconds. Hum "Happy Birthday"song twice to time yourself!
- Rinse hands well under clean, running water.
- Dry hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
- If you don’t have soap & water to wash hands, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. http://go.usa.gov/Xppx
- Hand sanitizers do not kill all germs & may not be as effective if hands are visibly dirty or greasy. http://go.usa.gov/Xppx
- Use hand sanitizer the right way. Apply correct amount (read label) & rub into all hand surfaces until hands are dry. http://go.usa.gov/Xppx
Science Behind the Recommendations
Resources & Materials
- Page last reviewed: July 22, 2015
- Page last updated: July 22, 2015
- Content source: