Handwashing: A Healthy Habit in the Kitchen
Handwashing is one of the most important things you can do to prevent food poisoning when preparing food for yourself or loved ones. Your hands can spread germs in the kitchen. Some of these germs, like Salmonella, can make you very sick. Washing your hands frequently with soap and water is an easy way to prevent germs from spreading around your kitchen and to other foods.
Follow these handwashing tips to make sure you have clean hands when preparing food.
Wash your hands often when you cook to prevent the spread of germs.
- Before, during, and after preparing any food.
- After handling uncooked meat, poultry, seafood, flour, or eggs.
- Before and after using gloves to prevent germs from spreading to your food and your hands.
- Before eating.
- After touching garbage.
- After wiping counters or cleaning other surfaces with chemicals.
- After touching pets, pet food, or pet treats.
- After coughing, sneezing, or blowing your nose.
Wash Your Hands Often
A 2020 survey found that 31% of participants reported not always washing their hands before preparing food*. Your hands carry germs you can’t see, and these germs can be introduced to your food when preparing it.
*Source: 2020 Porter Novelli Fall Styles survey 3,625 U.S. adults.
Five Steps to Handwashing
Handwashing is one of the most effective ways to prevent the spread of germs when done correctly. To get the full benefit of handwashing, follow these five steps every time.
- Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
Don’t let germs ruin your food plans. Make handwashing a healthy habit while preparing food for yourself and your loved ones!