Publications & Resources
- CDC MMWR: Persistent Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Fatal Unintentional Drowning Rates Among Persons Aged ≤29 Years – United States, 1999-2019 (June 2021)
- Injury Prevention: Drowning in Uganda: examining data from administrative sources (Feb. 2021external icon)
- CDC MMWR: Racial/ethnic disparities in fatal unintentional drowning among persons aged ≤29 years—United States, 1999–2010 (May 2014)
- CDC MMWR: Drowning — United States, 2005–2009 (May 2012)
- AAP Policy Statementexternal icon: The American Academy of Pediatrics’ revised policy statement including new information and research on risks, disparities, prevention methods, the drowning chain of survival, and the importance of bystander CPR.
- WHO Global Report on Drowning: Preventing a Leading Killerexternal icon: A report providing current knowledge about drowning and drowning prevention, and calls for a substantial scaling up of comprehensive efforts and resources to prevent drowning.
- WHO Preventing Drowning: An Implementation Guideexternal icon: A guide with practical steps to reduce drowning through 10 evidence-based interventions and strategies. It also highlights ways to strengthen drowning prevention interventions through public awareness and engagement.
- Water Safety USAexternal icon: A roundtable of longstanding national nonprofit and governmental organizations with a strong record of providing drowning prevention and water safety programs, including public education.
- Drowning Chain of Survivalexternal icon: Five steps that can help to guide the prevention of drowning, as well as rescue and recovery when a drowning incident occurs.
- Safe Kids Worldwideexternal icon: A nonprofit organization working to help families and communities keep kids safe from injuries, including drowning.
- Safety Around Waterexternal icon: The drowning prevention page of the YMCA with safety tips. The YMCA is a nonprofit that focuses on strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
- Healthychildren.orgexternal icon: A website from the American Academy of Pediatrics, it contains helpful information for parents on many topics, including water safety adviceexternal icon. More detailed information about prevention of drowning can be found in AAP’s 2019 Policy Statementexternal icon.
- Water Vessel Safetyexternal icon: A web page from the National Park Service with articles on safe boating.
- UN Global Drowning Prevention Resolutionexternal icon: Adopted by the United Nations (UN) General Assembly in April 2021, it calls for action to develop public awareness and national drowning reduction strategies with measurable targets, among other efforts. The resolution also names July 25 as annual UN Day for drowning prevention.