Overall Value of Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support
Diabetes self-management education and support (DSMES) is an evidence-based approach shown to improve outcomes for people with diabetes. With a wide range of benefits, DSMES services can:
- Support health care providers, people with diabetes, and community members in addressing diabetes-related needs.
- Increase the quality of health care services.
- Lower the cost of delivering health care services.
- Increase indirect revenue, such as revenue from lab tests related to the DSMES service.
- Help health care organizations and providers adhere to standards and goals for health care reform.
- Help meet the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) standards for a patient-centered medical home or an accountable care organization.
For additional information on the overall value of DSMES services, see the resources below: