Overall Value of Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support
DSMES is an evidence-based approach, proven to improve outcomes for people with diabetes. With a wide range of benefits, DSMES services can:
- Support health care providers, people with diabetes, and community members in addressing diabetes-related needs.
- Increase the quality of health care services.
- Contain the cost of delivering health care services.
- Increase indirect revenue, such as revenue from lab tests related to the DSMES service.
- Help health care institutions and providers adhere to standards and goals for health care reform.
- Help meet the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) standards for a patient centered medical home or an accountable care organization.
For additional information on the overall value of DSMES, see the resources below:
Diabetes Self-management Education for Adults With Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Systematic Review of the Effect on Glycemic Controlexternal icon:
This is a review of 118 interventions to determine the impact of DSMES on hemoglobin A1c.
Reducing the Risks of Diabetes Complications Through Diabetes Self-management Education and Supportexternal icon:
This article reviews the reduction and prevention of diabetes-related risks and translated evidence supporting diabetes care and self-management education.