How People with Diabetes Benefit from DSMES
Participation in DSMES is linked to positive changes in health behaviors and improved diabetes-related outcomes. Benefits of DSMES participation include:1
- Improved hemoglobin A1C levels.
- Improved management of blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Higher rates of medication adherence.
- Fewer or less-severe diabetes-related complications.
- Healthier lifestyle behaviors, such as better nutrition, increased physical activity, and use of primary care and preventive services.
- Enhanced self-efficacy.
- Decreased health care costs, including fewer hospital admissions and readmissions.