Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) OE20-2001: Enhancing Public Health Laboratory Capabilities and Increasing Capacity
This page is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being updated. Please visit OE20-2001: Enhancing Public Health Laboratory Capabilities and Increasing Capacity for up-to-date information.
The following is an archive of information from the 2020 NOFO application period.
A five-year umbrella cooperative agreement (CoAg) managed by CDC’s Division of Laboratory Systems, Center for Surveillance, Epidemiology, and Laboratory Services.
The application process is closed. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) announces a five-year CoAg to improve the effectiveness and functionality of public health laboratories (PHLs) individually and as components of a national system, to improve public health in the United States and globally. This NOFO aims to support four categories of strategies that will enhance the capabilities and increase the capacities of PHLs by strengthening:
- Science, management, and operations
- Policy, partnership, and communication
- Training and capacity building
- Laboratory quality, safety, and informatics for public health testing services, surveillance, and response
These four categories of strategies will be operationalized through the following nine focus areas:
- Foundational leadership and support
- Environmental health
- Foodborne, waterborne, and environmentally transmitted diseases
- Infectious diseases
- Newborn screening and genetics
- Preparedness and response
- Quality and safety systems
- Workforce development
The goals of this NOFO are in accordance with the Healthy People 2020 goals. The success of this CoAg requires that the recipient has:
- Superior expertise in public health laboratory practice
- A history of successful partnerships with public health laboratories
- Credibility and influence among public health laboratories
- A track record of improving public health laboratory practice, providing training and continuous education for public health laboratorians, promoting careers in public health laboratory practice, and preparing the future generation of laboratory leaders.
The funded recipient must have the capacity to meet all of the measurable program outcomes specified in the NOFO, which will culminate in the improved effectiveness of public health laboratories.
This NOFO is a single-source eligibility opportunity. Only one applicant, the Association for Public Health Laboratories, is eligible to apply for this NOFO.
Budget period length: 12 months (July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2021)
Period of Performance: 5 years (July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2025)
The official notice of funding opportunity, required attachments, and all other documentation needed to apply are available on the Grants.gov website. To view the entire announcement and learn about the CDC application process, go to www.grants.govexternal icon and click on Search Grants and enter the keywords “Public Health Laboratories” in the search field.
For access to complete instructions on how to apply for this funding opportunity, visit grants.gov.external icon
Letter of Intent Deadline
Tuesday, December 3, 2019, 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time
Informational Conference Call for Potential Applicants
Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) CDC-RFA-OE20-2001
Download the complete NOFO package.
Download NOFO components separately.
- Enhancing Public Health Laboratory Capabilities and Increasing Capacity OE20-2001pdf icon
- OE20-2001 Focus Areaspdf icon
- Appendix A: Foundational Leadership and Supportpdf icon
- Appendix B: Environmental Healthpdf icon
- Appendix C: Foodborne, Waterborne, and Environmentally Transmitted Diseasespdf icon
- Appendix D: Infectious Diseasespdf icon
- Appendix E: Informaticspdf icon
- Appendix F: Newborn Screening and Geneticspdf icon
- Appendix G: Preparedeness and Responsepdf icon
- Appendix H: Quality and Safety Systemspdf icon
- Appendix I: Workforce Developmentpdf icon
- Appendix J: Logic Modelpdf icon
- Appendix K: Sample CoAg Spend Down Planexcel icon