People at Risk
Cronobacter infections are rare, but most diagnosed Cronobacter infections are among infants who have been fed powdered infant formula. Infants who are more likely to get sick include:
- Infants less than 2 months old. These infants are most likely to develop meningitis if they get sick from Cronobacter.
- Infants born prematurely.
- Infants with weakened immune systems. Babies with certain medical conditions can’t fight bacteria as well because of their illness or medical treatment, such as chemotherapy for cancer.
Cronobacter infection can also be serious for:
- People 65 years and older.
- People whose immune systems are weakened by illnesses or conditions, such as HIV, organ transplants, or cancer.
Page last reviewed: June 3, 2022