About High Cholesterol
There are two sources of cholesterol: cholesterol made by the body and dietary cholesterol.
- Cholesterol is made in your liver. Your body uses cholesterol to make hormones and digest fatty foods. Your body makes all the cholesterol it needs.
- Dietary cholesterol is in animal foods, such as egg yolks, fatty meats, and regular cheese. In general, foods that are high in dietary cholesterol are also high in saturated fat.
The foods you eat play a role in your risk of high cholesterol, but your overall risk depends on many factors. Learn what raises your risk for high cholesterol.
- Know the Facts About High Cholesterol [PDF-281K]
- Heart Disease
- Aortic Aneurysm
- High Blood Pressure
- Page last reviewed: March 16, 2015
- Page last updated: March 16, 2015
- Content source: