References and Resources
25 Years of the U.S. Varicella Vaccination Program
Infographic: Chickenpox Vaccine Saves Lives Infographic
- Prevention of Varicella—Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, June 2007
- Use of Combination Measles, Mumps, Rubella, and Varicella Vaccine—Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, May 2010
- Updated recommendations for use of VariZIG—United States, July 2013
- Guidelines for the Prevention and Treatment of Opportunistic Infections in Adults and Adolescents with HIV: Varicella-Zoster Virus Disease
- What’s New in the Guidelines for the Prevention and Treatment of Opportunistic Infections in HIV-Exposed and HIV-Infected Children: Varicella-Zoster Virus
- Special Considerations for Vaccinating People with HIV and Weakened Immune Systems, June 2007
- Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. 2007 Guidelines for Isolation Precautions: Preventing Transmission of Infectious Agents in Healthcare Settings
- Guideline for Infection Control in Healthcare Personnel, 1998 [66 pages]
- Healthcare-associated Infections: Guidelines and Recommendations
Learn more about the varicella vaccination program and varicella surveillance in the United States.
- Severe Varicella in People Vaccinated with Varicella Vaccine (breakthrough varicella): A Systematic Literature Review. Expert Review of Vaccines, 2017.
- Safety of Second-Dose Single-Antigen Varicella Vaccine. Pediatrics, 2017.
- Epidemiology of Varicella During the 2-Dose Varicella Vaccination Program – United States, 2005-2014. MMWR, 2016.
- Global Varicella Vaccine Effectiveness: A Meta-analysis. Pediatrics. 2016.
- Impact of the Maturing Varicella Vaccination Program on Varicella and Related Outcomes in the United States: 1994-2012. Journal of the Pediatric Infectious Disease Society, 2015.
- Impact of a Routine Two-dose Varicella Vaccination Program on Varicella Epidemiology. Pediatrics, 2013
- Impact of the US Two-dose Varicella Vaccination Program on the Epidemiology of Varicella Outbreaks: Data from Nine States, 2005-2012. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, 2015.
- Varicella in Infants after Implementation of the US Varicella Vaccination Program. Pediatrics, 2011.
- Effectiveness of 2 Doses of Varicella Vaccine in Children. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 2011.
- Impact of Varicella Vaccine on Varicella-zoster Virus Dynamics. Clinical Microbiology Reviews, 2010.
- Safety of Varicella Vaccine after Licensure in the United States: Experience from Reports to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System, 1995-2005. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 2008.
- Varicella Disease among Vaccinated Persons: Clinical and Epidemiological Characteristics, 1997-2005. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 2008.
- Varicella Vaccine Effectiveness in the United States Vaccination Program: A Review. Journal of Infectious Diseases (Supplement), 2008.
- One Dose of Varicella Vaccine does not Prevent School Outbreaks: Is it Time for a Second Dose? Pediatrics, 2006.
- Transmission of Vaccine-Strain Varicella-Zoster Virus: A Systematic Review. Pediatrics, 2019.
- Update on Trends in Varicella Mortality During the Varicella Vaccine Era-United States, 1990-2016. Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics, 2018.
- Varicella Outbreak Surveillance in Schools in Sentinel Jurisdictions, 2012-2015. Journal of the Pediatric Infectious Disease Society, 2018.
- Seroprevalence of Measles, Mumps, Rubella and Varicella Antibodies in the United States Population, 2009-2010. Open Forum Infectious Diseases, 2015.
- Trends in varicella mortality in the United States: Data from vital statistics and the national surveillance system. Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics, 2015.
- Assessment of Varicella Surveillance and Outbreak Control Practices – United States, 2012.MMWR,
- Evolution of Varicella Surveillance—Selected States, 2000–2010. MMWR, 2012.
- Varicella-related Hospitalizations in the United States, 2000-2006: The 1-dose Varicella Vaccination Era. Pediatrics, 2011.
- Near Elimination of Varicella Deaths in the US after Implementation of the Vaccination Program.Pediatrics, 2011.
- Evaluation of Laboratory Methods for Diagnosis of Varicella. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 2010.
- Varicella Outbreak Epidemiology in an Active Surveillance Site, 1995-2005. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 2008.
- Varicella Prevention in the United States: A Review of Successes and Challenges. Pediatrics, 2008.
- The Epidemiology of Varicella-zoster Virus Infections. Infectious Disease Clinics of North America, 1996.