Information for Public Health Officials
How to Contact the Rickettsial Zoonoses Branch at CDC
The general public and healthcare providers should first call 1-800-CDC-INFO (1-800-232-4636) for questions regarding anaplasmosis and other rickettsial diseases. If a consultation with a CDC scientist specializing in rickettsial diseases is advised, your call will be appropriately forwarded.
Case Report Form
- Confirmed and probable cases of anaplasmosis are reported through the National Notifiable Disease Surveillance System; states are also encouraged to submit additional information using the Tickborne rickettsial disease case report form (CRF) Cdc-pdf[PDF – 3 pages].
- This form collects additional important information that might not otherwise be reported to CDC, such as information on how the diagnosis was made, and whether the patient was hospitalized or died.
- If a different state-specific form is already used to collect this information, this information can be submitted to CDC in lieu of a CRF.
How to Submit Specimens to CDC for Anaplasmosis Testing
- Serologic and PCR assays for the diagnosis of anaplasmosis are available through many commercial and state laboratories. Routine testing should primarily use these testing options.
- Samples may be sent to CDC for confirmatory testing or with special permission from the Rickettsial Zoonoses Branch.
State Health Departments
- Specimens may be submitted to CDC for testing of rickettsial diseases, including anaplasmosis.
- To coordinate specimen submission, please call 404-639-1075 during business hours (8:00 – 4:30 EST).
US Healthcare Providers
- US healthcare providers should submit specimens through their health department for testing. Do not send specimens directly to CDC.
- CDC policy requires that specimens be submitted through, or with the approval of, the provider’s state health department.
- Please contact your state health department to assist you with specimen submission and reporting of an infected patient.
- Final reports of test results are returned to the state public health laboratory who is responsible for providing these reports to the primary submitter.
For general questions about anaplasmosis or other rickettsial diseases, please call 1-800-CDC-INFO (1-800-232-4636). If you have questions about a suspect case, please first consult your state health department. Healthcare providers requiring an epidemiologic consultation on rickettsial diseases may also call 404-639-1075 during business hours (8:00 – 4:30 EST) or 770-488-7100 after hours.
Non-US Healthcare Providers
Non-US healthcare providers should consult CDC prior to submitting specimens for testing. For general questions about anaplasmosis or other rickettsial diseases, please call 1-800-CDC-INFO (1-800-232-4636) or (888-232-6348). If you would like to discuss a suspect rickettsial case with CDC, please call 404-639-1075 during business hours (8:00 – 4:30 EST) or 770-488-7100 after hours.