- Shehab N, Lovegrove MC, Geller AI, Rose KO, Weidle NJ, Budnitz DS. US emergency department visits for outpatient adverse drug events, 2013-2014. JAMA 2016;316(20):2115-2125.
- Jhung MA, Budnitz DS, Mendelsohn AB, Weidenbach KN, Nelson TD, Pollock DA. Evaluation and overview of the national electronic injury surveillance system-cooperative adverse drug event surveillance project (NEISS-CADES) [PDF – 7 pages]. Medical Care 2007;45 (suppl 2):S96-S102.
- Budnitz DS, Pollock DA, Weidenbach KN, Mendelsohn AB, Schroeder TJ, Annest JL. National surveillance of emergency department visits for outpatient adverse drug events. JAMA 2006;296:1858-66.
- Budnitz DS, Pollock D, Mendelsohn AB, Weidenbach KA, McDonald AK, Annest JL. Emergency department visits for outpatient adverse drug events: demonstration for a national surveillance system. Ann Emerg Med 2005;45:197-206.
- Assessing the national electronic injury surveillance system – cooperative adverse drug event surveillance project – six sites, United States, January 1-June 15, 2004. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2005;54:380-3.
Adverse Drug Events in Children
- Budnitz DS, Lovegrove MC, Rose KO. Adherence to label and device recommendations for over-the-counter pediatric liquid medications. Pediatrics 2014;133:e283-90.
Emergency department visits and hospitalizations for buprenorphine ingestion by children – United States, 2010-2011. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2013;62:56. (Reprinted in JAMA 2013;309:1667-8.)
- Hampton LM, Nguyen DB, Edwards JR, Budnitz DS. Cough and cold medication adverse events after market withdrawal and labeling revision. Pediatrics 2013;132:1047-54.
- Lovegrove MC, Hon S, Geller RJ, Rose KO, Hampton LM, Bradley J, Budnitz DS. Efficacy of flow restrictors in limiting access of liquid medications by young children. J Pediatr 2013;163:1134-9.e1.
- Budnitz DS, Lovegrove MC. The last mile: taking the final steps in preventing pediatric pharmaceutical poisonings. J Pediatr 2012;160:190-2.
- Budnitz DS, Salis S. Preventing medication overdoses in young children: an opportunity for harm elimination. Pediatrics 2011;127:e1597-9.
- Shehab N, Schaefer MK, Kegler SR, Budnitz DS. Adverse events from cough and cold medications after a market withdrawal of products labeled for infants. Pediatrics 2010;126:1100-07.
- Budnitz DS, Lewis LL, Shehab N, Birnkrant D. CDC and FDA response to risk of confusion in dosing Tamiflu oral suspension. N Engl J Med 2009;361:1913-4.
- Schillie SF, Shehab N, Thomas KE, Budnitz DS. Medication overdoses leading to emergency department visits among children. Am J Prev Med 2009;37:181-7.
- Cohen AL, Budnitz DS, Weidenbach KN, Jernigan DB, Schroeder TJ, Shehab N, Pollock DA. National surveillance of emergency department visits for outpatient adverse drug events in children and adolescentsn. J Pediatr 2008;152:416-21.
- Schaefer MK, Shehab N, Cohen AL, Budnitz DS. Adverse events from cough and cold medications in children Pediatrics 2008;121:783-7.
Infant deaths associated with cough and cold medications – two states, 2005. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2007;56:1-4.
- Cohen AL, Jhung MA, Budnitz DS. Stimulant medications and attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder.External Web Site Icon N Engl J Med 2006;354:2294-5.
Nonfatal, unintentional medication exposures among young children, United States, 2001-2003. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2006;55:1-5. (Reprinted in JAMA 2006;295:882-4.)
Adverse Drug Events in Older Adults
- Budnitz DS, Lovegrove ML, Shehab N. Reply – Emergency hospitalizations for adverse drug events in older Americans. N Engl J Med 2012;366:859-60.
- Budnitz DS, Lovegrove MC, Shehab N, Richards, CL. Emergency hospitalizations for adverse drug events in older Americans. [PDF – 522 KB] N Engl J Med 2011; 365:2002-12.
- Shehab N, Budnitz DS. Time to change the paradigm–from . Arch Intern Med 2011;171:473-4.
- Classen DC, Jaser L, Budnitz DS. Adverse drug events among hospitalized Medicare patients: epidemiology and national estimates from a new approach to surveillance. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 2010;36:12-21.
- Budnitz DS. Agreement between drugs-to-avoid criteria and expert assessments of problematic prescribing–invited commentary Arch Intern Med 2009;169:1332-4.
- Budnitz DS. Inappropriate medication use in hospitalized older adults–is it time for interventions? J Hosp Med 2008;3:87-90.
- Budnitz DS, Shehab N, Kegler SR, Richards CL. Medication use leading to emergency department visits for adverse drug events in older adults. Ann Intern Med 2007;147:755-65.
Adverse Drug Events from Antibiotics and Antivirals
- Jones SC, Budnitz DS, Sorbello A, Mehta H. US-based emergency department visits for fluoroquinolone-associated hypersensitivity reactions. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2013;22:1099-106.
- Lovegrove MC, Shehab N, Hales CM, Poneleit K, Crane E, Budnitz DS. Emergency department visits for antiviral adverse events during the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic. Public Health Rep 2011;126:312-7.
Editorial commentary: antibiotics for treatment of acute respiratory tract infections: decreasing benefit, increasing risk, and the irrelevance of antimicrobial resistance. Clin Infect Dis 2008;47:744-6.
- Shehab N, Patel PR, Srinivasan A, Budnitz DS. Emergency department visits for antibiotic-associated adverse events. Clin Infect Dis 2008;47:735-43.
Adverse Drug Events from Opioid Analgesics
- Hall AJ, Logan JE, Toblin RL, Kaplan JA, Kraner JC, Bixler D, Crosby AE, Paulozzi LJ. Patterns of abuse among unintentional pharmaceutical overdose fatalities. JAMA 2008;300:2613-20.
- Paulozzi LJ, Budnitz DS, Xi Y. Increasing deaths from opioid analgesics in the United States. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2006;15:618-27.
- Ballesteros MF, Budnitz DS, Sanford CP, Gilchrist J, Agyekum GA, Butts J. Increase in deaths due to methadone in North Carolina. JAMA 2003;290:40.
Adverse Drug Events from Other Analgesics
- Budnitz DS, Lovegrove MC, Crosby AE. Emergency department visits for overdoses of acetaminophen-containing products [PDF – 8 pages]. Am J Prev Med 2011;40:585-92
- Manthripragada AD, Zhou EH, Budnitz DS, Lovegrove MC, Willy ME. Characterization of acetaminophen overdose-related emergency department visits and hospitalizations in the United States. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2011;doi: 10.1002/pds.2090.
- Willy M, Kelly JP, Nourjah P, Kaufman DW, Budnitz DS, Staffa J. Emergency department visits attributed to selected analgesics, United States, 2004-2005. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2009;18:188-95.
Adverse Drug Events from Other Medications
Geller AI, Shehab N, Lovegrove MC, Kegler SR, Weidenbach KN, Ryan GJ, Budnitz DS. National estimates of insulin-related hypoglycemia and errors leading to emergency department visits and hospitalizations. JAMA Intern Med 2014;174:678-86.
- See I, Shehab N, Kegler SR, Laskar SR, Budnitz DS. Emergency department visits and hospitalizations for digoxin toxicity: United States, 2005 to 2010. Circ Heart Fail 2014;7:28-34.
- Shehab N, Sperling LS, Kegler SR, Budnitz DS. National estimates of emergency department visits for hemorrhage-related adverse events from clopidogrel plus aspirin and from warfarin. Arch Intern Med 2010; 170:1926-33.
- Page last reviewed: June 13, 2014
- Page last updated: June 13, 2014
- Content source: