Dental Professionals: Help Your Patients Quit Smoking
You can play a key role in fighting tobacco use, the number one cause of preventable death and disease in the United States. You see smoking-related damage in your patients' mouths every day. You know the impact it has on their overall health as well. And your patients trust advice and information you give them to stay healthy.
When it comes to talking to patients about quitting tobacco use, the Tips From Former Smokers (Tips) campaign can be a conversation starter. The campaign offers resources for you as well as your patients. With the support of CDC's materials, you can help more patients live smokefree lives.
I'm ready to help my tobacco-using patients quit. How can I get started?
Congratulations on your dedication! Following are some brief training resources to help you guide patients who want to quit:
- Fact Sheet about Tips [PDF - 666 KB] and how dental professionals can get involved and support patients
- Free continuing education training for up to 4.5 CEs, entitled “Smoking Cessation for Pregnancy and Beyond: A Virtual Clinic”
- FAQs for Health Care Providers
- FAQs about how quitlines work and their effectiveness
- A printable, pocket-sized tobacco intervention card [PDF - 71 KB] that lists the steps for conducting a brief tobacco intervention with your patients
- Medscape Video, Conducting a Brief 2A Tobacco Intervention featuring Tim McAfee, MD, senior medical officer to CDC's Office on Smoking and Health. This video shares the steps that you can take to conduct brief interventions with your patients.
- Tips From Former Smokers Download Center for videos to show in your waiting room or patient rooms, radio ads, print ads, and other resources
- ADA-certified online dental course, produced by the Maricopa County Health Department in Arizona, that can help you learn how to help your patients
How can I help my patients become smokefree?
- Download "Talk With Your Dental Team" posters to inspire your patients to quit (in English or Spanish). Hang them in your dental practice or office, where patients will see them every day.
- Download videos, print ads, radio ads, and other Tips campaign materials from the Tips Download Center for use in your waiting room.
- Order free notepads (with the 1-800-QUIT-NOW quitline number and CDC logo) to use in your dental office (enter “notepad” in search bar on publication catalog web page).
- Explain how smoking is linked to gum disease and tooth loss. Use Brett and Felicita from Tips ads as examples of what can happen to patients.
- Suggest that your patients visit the I'm Ready to Quit! page on the Tips Web site. Link to it from your practice's Web site.
- Let your patients know that they can get free quit help by calling 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669) or 1-855-DÉJELO-YA (1-855-335-3569) (for Spanish speakers).
- Page last reviewed: June 2, 2016
- Page last updated: June 2, 2016
- Content source: