Forms & Guidance
A new version of NORS is now available and may not exactly match the content in the materials posted here. Look for updated materials beginning in Spring 2013.
The data entry forms and guidance on this page are intended for use by staff at local, state, and territorial health departments who complete outbreak reports for submission to CDC. The data entry forms are available in PDF format for completion by health jurisdictions that do not have access to the NORS electronic reporting system and therefore need to send a written report to their NORS administrators.
For guidance regarding the reporting process within a particular reporting site, users should contact their designated Reporting Site Administrators or Agency Administrators. Additional instructions for entering data are posted in Training Materials.
Waterborne Disease Outbreaks (enteric, non-enteric)
Forms for collecting data on waterborne disease outbreaks before entering into NORS
- NORS-Water Guidance Document [PDF - 77 pages] – Guidance for completing the water-specific sections of the CDC 52.12 form and the corresponding sections of the NORS electronic outbreak report form. See the general guidance for enteric outbreak reporting for more information on report sections that are completed for all types of outbreaks reported in NORS.
Archived reporting forms
- Archived and historical versions of forms used to report waterborne disease outbreaks to CDC are available on the Healthy Water Forms Archive page.
Foodborne Disease Outbreaks and Enteric Disease Outbreaks Transmitted by Contact with Persons, Animals, or Environmental Sources, or by an Unknown Mode
Forms for collecting data on foodborne disease outbreaks and all enteric disease outbreaks (other than waterborne) before entering into NORS
- Appendix [PDF - 3 pages] – Information on available picklist values.
- Guidance Document [PDF - 76 pages] (UPDATED) – Guidance for completing all sections of the CDC 52.13 form and the corresponding sections of the NORS electronic outbreak report form. Refer to this guidance for the General section of waterborne disease outbreak reports.
Analyzing NORS Data
- Annotated NORS Form [PDF - 6 pages] – Allows users to “map” downloaded variables to fields of the CDC 52.13 form for reporting enteric disease outbreaks transmitted by food, contact with environmental sources, infected persons or animals, or unknown modes of transmission. Intended for use with the data dictionary.
- NORS Data Dictionary (relational data) – Contains a complete list of variables contained in NORS for reporting enteric disease outbreaks transmitted by food, contact with environmental sources, infected persons or animals, or unknown modes of transmission, their definitions, and to which field of the annotated 52.13 forms each variable maps.
Top of Page