NIOSH Extramural Research and Training Programs
To maximize the grants program's usefulness in protecting workers, NIOSH funds projects that are both scientifically sound and related to program priorities. Prevention is the thrust of the research program, and studies are supported to identify occupational populations at risk, develop methods for measuring exposures to hazards and detecting adverse health effects, determine the prevalence and incidence of occupational hazards, understand the etiology of occupational diseases and injuries, and reduce or eliminate exposures to hazards. Support is provided for both laboratory and field studies involving humans, as well as laboratory studies with various animal models and cell lines. Acute, subchronic, and chronic investigations are supported. Methods development involves measurement instrumentation, analytical techniques, medical monitoring procedures, and statistical designs to improve accuracy and precision of results. Fundamental or basic research may be supported if the applicant describes in the proposal how the research effort has current or potential utility in dealing with an occupational safety or health concern.
The announcements listed below are published in the NIH Guide to Grants and Contracts. Each announcement specifies the research priorities of interest, the type of grant activity supported, and the information needed to submit a grant application.
Current Research Grant Opportunities
(For previous funding opportunities, see Past Funding.)
- ANNOUNCEMENT NO. PAR-13-129: Occupational Safety and Health Research (R01); Contact Person: Maria Lioce, MD , (404) 498-2530; (Expiration Date: May 8, 2018 unless reissued). This announcement replaces PA-10-188.
- ANNOUNCEMENT NO. PAR-12-200: NIOSH Small Research Grant Program (R03); Contact Person: Joan Karr, Ph.D. , (404) 498-2530; (Closing Date: September 8, 2015, unless resissued). This announcement replaces PAR-09-138.
- ANNOUNCEMENT NO. PAR-12-252: NIOSH Exploratory and/or Developmental Grant Program (R21); Contact Person: Joan Karr, Ph.D. , (404) 498-2530; (Closing Date: September 8, 2015 unless reissued). This announcement replaces PAR-09-139.
- ANNOUNCEMENT NO. PAR-13-245 : Mentored Research Scientist Development Award (K01); Contact Person: Steve Dearwent, Ph.D., (404) 498-2530; (Closing Date: September 2, 2015). This announcement replaces PAR-10-132.
- ANNOUNCEMENT NO. PA-14-071 : Reissue PHS 2014-02 Omnibus Solicitation of the NIH, CDC, FDA and ACF for Small Business Innovation Research Grant Applications (Parent SBIR [R43/R44]); Contact Person: Steve Dearwent, Ph.D. 404-498-2530; (May 8, 2015). This announcement is a reissue of PA-13-234.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- New Hours of Operation
- Contact CDC-INFO