Skip directly to local search Skip directly to A to Z list Skip directly to navigation Skip directly to site content Skip directly to page options
CDC Home

Mining Publication: Risk Profile of Cumulative Trauma Disorders of the Arm and Hand in the U.S. Mining Industry

January 1992

Image of publication Risk Profile of Cumulative Trauma Disorders of the Arm and Hand in the U.S. Mining Industry

A review was conducted of all cumulative trauma disorder (CTD) injuries to the upper extremities for 1985 through 1989 among workers in mines. All injuries in coal mining and metal/nonmetal mining which were reported as irritated tendon injuries and occupational diseases of the upper extremities were selected for analysis. The narrative was analyzed to exclude acute injuries. Injuries were divided into carpal tunnel syndrome and CTD injuries excluding carpal tunnel syndrome. Age, years of work experience, and job title were examined in relation to development of CTD. The results of the analysis indicated that incidence rates in mining were lower than in the private industry sector. The number of reported CTD injuries increased seven fold in that time, and the percentage of all mining injuries which were of this type increased five fold. The increase may be a result of CTDs being increasingly reported. Of all CTD injuries, 80% occurred to workers at metal/nonmetal mines. Coal mines contributed the other 20%. Four specific occupations in this industry accounted for nearly 63% of this type of injury including mechanics, laborers, boney operators, and miners not elsewhere classified.

Authors: SD Hudock, CM Keran

Information CircularJanuary - 1992

  • Adobe Acrobat - Portable Document Format (.PDF)

    0.43 MB

NIOSHTIC2 Number: 00209232

U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Mines, Information Circular 9319, 1992 Jan:1-8

 
Contact Us:
  • Office of Mine Safety and Health (OMSHR)
  • National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
  • Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
  • 800-CDC-INFO
    (800-232-4636)
    TTY: (888) 232-6348
  • New Hours of Operation
    8am-8pm ET/Monday-Friday
    Closed Holidays
  • omshr@cdc.gov
USA.gov: The U.S. Government's Official Web PortalDepartment of Health and Human Services
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention   1600 Clifton Road Atlanta, GA 30329-4027, USA
800-CDC-INFO (800-232-4636) TTY: (888) 232-6348 - Contact CDC–INFO
A-Z Index
  1. A
  2. B
  3. C
  4. D
  5. E
  6. F
  7. G
  8. H
  9. I
  10. J
  11. K
  12. L
  13. M
  14. N
  15. O
  16. P
  17. Q
  18. R
  19. S
  20. T
  21. U
  22. V
  23. W
  24. X
  25. Y
  26. Z
  27. #