Mining Product: Roof Fall Entrapment: Eyewitness Account by Larry Strayer
Original creation date: January 1992
In this videotape, Larry, a miner, tells about a fall that occurred while he and another miner were attempting to bar down top just inby the last row of supports. He explains that the other miner was injured but eventually recovered. He, however, lost a leg as a result of this accident. It is stressed that going even a short distance inby supports is not worth the possible outcome of an accident. An instructor's guide is included to help you use the tape as part of an effective training session.
This video would be beneficial for use with anyone who works underground. It would be particularly useful for training new miners. The instructor's guide contains suggestions to help you use the tape as part of an effective training session.
Skills reviewed: Emergency first response.
- DVD Video (15 minutes) - This video can be ordered from the Mine Safety and Health Administration at its web site listed below.
- Instructor's Guide: Roof Fall Entrapment Videotape, Larry Strayer's Account
Authors: U.S. Bureau of Mines
- Page last reviewed: 10/7/2014
- Page last updated: 10/7/2014
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program