Mining Publication: Degasification of the Mary Lee Coalbed Near Oak Grove, Jefferson County, Alabama, by Vertical Borehole in Advance of Mining
Original creation date: January 1974
A 5-hole pattern was drilled from the surface at a site near Oak Grove, Jefferson County, Alabama, to degasify the gassy Mary Lee coalbed in advance of mining. Gas and water production was monitored for 1 year, 4 months to allow gas flow to stabilize fully. A thickened water stimulation treatment was designed and applied in one hole of the pattern to evaluate this degasification technique for the Mary Lee coalbed. A gas production rate of 70,000 ft3/day after stimulation treatment indicates that the use of vertical boreholes coupled with hydraulic fracturing in advance of mining the Mary Lee coalbed would provide for more rapid degasification and could provide a possible source of natural gas.
Authors: CH Elder, M Deul
Report of Investigations - January 1974
NIOSHTIC2 Number: 10000666
Pittsburgh, PA: U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Mines, RI-7968, 1974 Jan; :1-21
- Cableless Electronic Surveying Systems for Horizontal Holes
- A CART Technique to Adjust Production from Longwall Coal Operations under Ventilation Constraints
- Degasification and Production of Natural Gas From an Air Shaft in the Pittsburgh Coalbed
- Degasification System Selection for U.S. Longwall Mines Using an Expert Classification System
- Directionally Controlled Drilling To Horizontally Intercept Selected Strata, Upper Freeport Coalbed, Greene County, Pa.
- Drainage of Methane From the Overlying Pocahontas No. 4 Coalbed From Workings in the Pocahontas No. 3 Coalbed
- Methane Control by Isolation of a Major Coal Panel - Pittsburgh Coalbed
- Methane Gas Content of the Mary Lee Group of Coalbeds, Jefferson, Tuscaloosa, and Walker Counties, Ala.
- Rotary Drilling Techniques Used in the Beckley Coalbed
- Use of Vertical Boreholes for Assisting Ventilation of Longwall Gob Areas
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program