Mining Project: An Analysis of Health and Safety Management Systems in Mining
To identify leading indicators in health and safety management practices unique to the mining industry and compare them against the leading indicators of mature occupational health and safety programs.
As mining companies build or refine their current health and safety management systems (HSMS) programs, examples of the current state of the U.S. industry’s efforts as well as comparison to research on leading indicators of occupational safety and health performance can serve to assist the industry in measuring its current approach against more mature HSMS programs. Bennett and Foster (2005) found six indicators, and their accompanying attributes could be used to assess the current state of a company’s practices and/or as part of a regular system review of a formal HSMS. This 1-year pilot research project applied Bennett’s model of leading occupational safety and health (OSH) indicators in an analysis of health and safety management practices for a sample of U.S. mining organizations.
- Used qualitative data collection methodologies to collect data and conduct analysis to characterize leading indicators of health and safety management practices in mining.
Results of this pilot project led to the development of the project, "Analysis of Health and Safety Management System Practices through Multilevel Interventions."
- Analysis of Health and Safety Management System Practices Through Multilevel Interventions
- The Challenge of Enforcing Safety Rules in Remote Hazardous Work Areas
- Mining Publications List: 1995 - 1999
- Optimizing Secondary Roof Support with the NIOSH Support Technology Optimization Program (STOP)
- Preventing Equipment Related Injuries in Underground U.S. Coal Mines
- Programmable Electronic Mining Systems: Best Practice Recommendations (In Nine Parts): Part 2: 2.1 System Safety
- Programmable Electronic Mining Systems: Best Practice Recommendations (In Nine Parts): Part 4: 3.0 Safety File
- Technology News 513 - Coaching Workshop for On-the-Job Trainers
- Toolbox Training For Construction Aggregate Miners
- Toolbox Training on Flyrock Awareness
- When Do You Take Refuge? Decisionmaking During Mine Emergency Escape
- Page last reviewed: 8/18/2016
- Page last updated: 8/18/2016
- Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Mining Program