We strongly encourage members of underrepresented populations to apply! For tips on how to write a strong application, check out our FAQs and Application Tips Page.
Please read the required application materials carefully. All application materials are due by Wednesday, February 10, 2016. Applications will only be accepted electronically. If you are not able to submit your application electronically, please contact GEH@cdc.gov for additional assistance.
IMPORTANT: Include your email address in the subject line of all application materials submitted, including your letters of recommendation; this is your "unique identifier." Without it, we will not be able to process you application.
- Application Applications will open later this fall.
- Current resume or CV No longer than six pages.
- Unofficial transcript or grade report from current graduate school studies (an official transcript is required on acceptance into the program)
- Two letters of recommendation (one must be from a current graduate school faculty member): 2016_GEH_LOR_form.docx [93 KB]
- Two essay questions
- Essay 1: Please describe your interest in the environment, health, and the intersection between the two. Describe personal experiences and how your graduate studies apply. (Typed, 1000 word suggested length. Please put your name on the top and in the file name.)
- Essay 2: What makes you a strong candidate for this program? Please include academics, extracurricular activities, previous related jobs or internships, and travel experiences. (Typed, 1000 word suggested length. Please put your name on the top and in the file name.)
Application Submission Instructions:
- Submit the application form (containing all parts of the application) in one email to GEH@cdc.gov. Those writing your letters of recommendation can email their recommendation in separate emails, also to GEH@cdc.gov. All application materials must be submitted no later than 11:59pm on Wednesday, February 10, 2016.
- IMPORTANT: When emailing your application materials, include ONLY your email address in the subject line (with no characters next to it other than a blank space). Instruct those writing your letters of recommendation to do the same. Without your email in the subject line, we cannot process your application.
- If possible, fill the application form using the text boxes provided and do not save the application form in a different file format – in other words, save the application form in the Microsoft Word Document (.docx) format. If you cannot see the textboxes or are unable to save as .docx, please indicate so in your email
To improve our recruitment process, please fill out an optional demographic form. It is a voluntary form and will in no way affect your application. We use information from these forms to improve recruitment for our program. To fill out this optional demographic from, please download this Word file [108 KB] and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org*
2016 Application Timeline
- Application opens: Wednesday, October 21, 2015
- Application deadline: Wednesday, February 10, 2016
- Notification to intern of acceptance: Friday, March 18, 2016
- Acceptance of internship offer by student and initiation of paperwork: Friday, March 25, 2016
- Internship dates: Monday, June 13, 2016 – Wednesday, August 17, 2016
Note: CDC has partnered with The Department of Energy (DOE)/Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE) for the implementation of this program. CDC will review applications and make final award selections.
- Page last reviewed: December 21, 2010
- Page last updated: December 10, 2015
- Content source: