Daniel B. Jernigan, MD, MPH (CAPT, USPHS)
Deputy Director, Influenza Division, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases
When it comes to respiratory disease investigations, Dr. Daniel Jernigan loves the hunt. Like an expert tracker, the seasoned epidemiologist asks: Who’s falling ill? Is there a cluster of cases? What relationship do the patients have with each other? As deputy director of CDC’s Influenza Division, Jernigan is always on the hunt, working to prepare for the next influenza pandemic. He believes the answers are out there if we know how to look for them. “We are determined to intervene where we can and stop the spread of disease—that’s public health,” he says.
CDC Public Affairs
- Influenza Surveillance
- Deputy Director, Influenza Division, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases
- Associate Director for Epidemiologic Science, Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion, National Center for Infectious Diseases
- Chief, Epidemiology Section, Epidemiology and Laboratory Branch, Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion, National Center for Infectious Diseases
- Senior Medical Officer, Office of Surveillance, National Center for Infectious Diseases
- Medical Epidemiologist, Communicable Diseases Section, Washington State Department of Health
- Physician, Neah Bay Service Unit, Indian Health Service
- Duke University (BS/cum laude) Zoology
- University of Texas (MPH)
- Baylor College of Medicine (MD)
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Certified)
Honors and Awards
- USPHS Distinguished Service Medal for global influenza detection and response
- USPHS Achievement Medals
- USPHS Crisis Response Service Awards for Hurricane Katrina and anthrax responses
- Association of Public Health Laboratories Presidential Award
- CDC’s Alexander D. Langmuir Award
- CDC’s Donald C. Maeckle Award
- University of Alabama Frank Cobbs Intern Award
- Baylor College of Medicine Frank Netter Award
- Jhung MA, Epperson S, Biggerstaff M, Allen D, Balish A, Barnes N, Beaudoin A, Berman L, Bidol S, Blanton L, Blythe D, Brammer L, D'Mello T, Danila R, Davis W, de Fijter S, Diorio M, Durand LO, Emery S, Fowler B, Garten R, Grant Y, Greenbaum A, Gubareva L, Havers F, Haupt T, House J, Ibrahim S, Jiang V, Jain S, Jernigan D, et al. Outbreak of Variant Influenza A(H3N2) Virus in the United States. Clin Infect Dis. 2013 Oct 24. PMID: 24065322
- Epperson S, Jhung M, Richards S, Quinlisk P, Ball L, Moll M, Boulton R, Haddy L, Biggerstaff M, Brammer L, Trock S, Burns E, Gomez T, Wong KK, Katz J, Lindstrom S, Klimov A, Bresee JS, Jernigan DB, Cox N, Finelli L. Influenza A (H3N2)v Virus Investigation Team. Human infections with influenza A(H3N2) variant virus in the United States, 2011-2012. Clin Infect Dis. 2013 Jul;57 Suppl 1:S4-S11. doi: 10.1093/cid/cit272. PMID: 23794729
- Biggerstaff M, Reed C, Epperson S, Jhung MA, Gambhir M, Bresee JS, Jernigan DB, Swerdlow DL, Finelli L. Estimates of the number of human infections with influenza A(H3N2) variant virus, United States, August 2011-April 2012. Clin Infect Dis. 2013 Jul;57 Suppl 1:S12-5. doi: 10.1093/cid/cit273.
- Braden CR, Dowell SF, Jernigan DB, Hughes JM. Progress in global surveillance and response capacity 10 years after severe acute respiratory syndrome. Emerg Infect Dis. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013 Jun;19(6):864-9. doi: 10.3201/eid1906.130192. Review. PMID: 237318712013 Jun [date cited]. http://dx.doi.org/10.3201/eid1906.130192
- Reed C, Biggerstaff M, Finelli L, Koonin LM, Beauvais D, Uzicanin A, Plummer A, Bresee J, Redd SC, Jernigan DB. Novel framework for assessing epidemiologic effects of influenza epidemics and pandemics. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013 Jan;19(1):85-91. doi: 10.3201/eid1901.120124.
- Van TT, Miller J, Warshauer DM, Reisdorf E, Jernigan D, Humes R, Shult PA. Pooling nasopharyngeal/throat swab specimens to increase testing capacity for influenza viruses by PCR. J Clin Microbiol. 2012 Mar;50(3):891-6. Epub 2012 Jan 11.
- WHO Writing Group (Jernigan DB, collaborator). Improving influenza vaccine virus selection: report of a WHO informal consultation held at WHO headquarters, Geneva, Switzerland, 14-16 June 2010. Influenza Other Respi Viruses. 2012 Mar;6(2):142-52, e1-5. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-2659.2011.00277.x. Epub 2011 Aug 8.
- Shrestha SS, Swerdlow DL, Borse RH, Prabhu VS, Finelli L, Atkins CY,Owusu-Edusei K, Bell B, Mead PS, Biggerstaff M, Brammer L, Davidson H, Jernigan D, et al. Estimating the burden of 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) in the United States (April 2009-April 2010). Clin Infect Dis. 2011 Jan 1;52 Suppl 1:S75-82.
- Jernigan DB, et al. Detecting 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) virus infection: availability of diagnostic testing led to rapid pandemic response. Clin Infect Dis. 2011 Jan 1;52 Suppl 1:S36-43.
- Jhung MA, Swerdlow D, Olsen SJ, Jernigan D, et al. Epidemiology of 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) in the United States. Clin Infect Dis. 2011 Jan 1;52 Suppl 1:S13-26.
- Ciccarone RM, Kim M, Tice AD, Nakata M, Effler P, Jernigan DB, Cardo DM, Sinkowitz-Cochran RL. Prevention of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection among Asian/Pacific Islanders: a qualitative assessment. Hawaii Med J. 2010 Jun;69(6):142-4.
- Zarcone P, Nordenberg D, Meigs M, Merrick U, Jernigan D, Hinrichs SH. Community-driven standards-based electronic laboratory data-sharing networks. Public Health Rep. 2010 May-Jun;125 Suppl 2:47-56.