CDC has collaborated with public health institutions in Central America since the 1960s. Through these partnerships CDC has been able to address Costa Rica’s priority public health challenges from malaria to flu. CDC’s work in Costa Rica includes HIV/AIDS, the Field Epidemiology Training Program (FETP), and the International Emerging Infections Program.
Download Overview Fact Sheet
CDC office (physical presence)
No U.S. Assignees
No Locally Employed
Costa Rica at a Glance
Per capita income: $10,930
Life expectancy at birth women/men: 82/77 yrs
Infant mortality rate: 8.8/1000 live
Source: Population Reference Bureau World Population Data Sheet, 2011
Top 10 Causes of DeathSource: GBD Compare 2010, 2010
- Cancer 20%
- Ischemic Heart Disease 16%
- Stroke 7%
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease 5%
- Chronic Kidney Disease 4%
- Road Injuries 4%
- Cirrhosis 4%
- Lower Respiratory Infections 3%
- Diabetes 3%
- Interpersonal Violence 2%
What CDC Is Doing
CDC Zika Updates
On January 22, 2016, CDC activated its Emergency Operations Center (EOC) to respond to outbreaks of Zika occurring in the Americas and increased reports of birth defects and Guillain-Barré syndrome in areas affected by Zika. On February 1, 2016, the World Health Organization declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) because of clusters of microcephaly and other neurological disorders in some areas affected by Zika. On February 8, 2016, CDC elevated its EOC activation to a Level 1, the highest level.
CDC is working with international public health partners and with state and local health departments to
- Alert healthcare providers and the public about Zika.
- Post travel notices and other travel-related guidance.
- Provide state health laboratories with diagnostic tests.
- Detect and report cases, which will help prevent further spread.
- Page last reviewed: February 25, 2014
- Page last updated: February 25, 2014
- Content source:
Notice: Linking to a non-federal site does not constitute an endorsement by HHS, CDC or any of its employees of the sponsors or the information and products presented on the site.