Training Programs and Courses
The Human Genome Project and population research have led to a better understanding of how genetics contributes to common chronic conditions and an appreciation for the role of genomics in public health. However, there is a need for genomic research findings to be translated into interventions and tools that are useful for preventive medicine and public health. Many public health professionals need additional support and training to understand advances in genomics and to apply this information to disease prevention and health promotion programs.
CDC’s Office of Public Health Genomics (OPHG) conducts and supports workshops, courses, and other training activities in public health genomics, family history, and human genome epidemiology. OPHG was also involved in developing genomics competencies for public health professionals.
CDC-Supported Training Programs
- American Society of Human Genetics Public Health Genetics Fellowship
- PharmGenEd Pharmacogenomics Education Program, University of California San Diego
- Human Genome Epidemiology Network (HuGENet™) Workshops
- Six Weeks to Genomic Awareness, Center for Public Health and Community Genomics, University of Michigan
- Training and Online Lectures, Center for Public Health and Genomics, University of Washington
CDC-Supported Training Materials
- E-Fact Sheet: Quick Facts about Public Health Genomics
- Genomics for Public Health Practitioners 2004
Other Training Programs and Courses
- Advanced Courses, Wellcome Trust
- Training Programs, National Human Genome Research Institute, National Institutes of Health
- Genetic Epidemiology, Netherlands Institute for Health Sciences
- Genetic Epidemiology Online Training - University of Washington Center for Genomics and Public Health
- Genetics of Complex Disorders Training Program, Columbia University
- Genomic Careers Resource Web site, National Human Genome Research Institute, NIH
- Genomics in Public Health and Preventive Medicine, UCLA Extension
- Human Genetics Course, Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine
- Online Genetics Courses, Duke Center for Human Genetics
- Public Health Genetics/Genomics Certificate Program, Sarah Lawrence College
- Summer Genetics Institute, National Institute of Nursing Research, National Institutes of Health
- Summer Program, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health
- Summer Institute in Genetic Epidemiology, Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
- Training Opportunities in Genetic Epidemiology and Molecular Epidemiology
- Training and Technical Assistance, University of Michigan, Center for Public Health and Community Genomics
- Center for Genomic Education & Outreach, Miami Institute for Human Genomics
- Genetic Risk, Screening and Intervention, A Continuing Medical Education Program for Physicians, American College of Preventive Medicine
- A List of Short Courses on Genetic Analysis, Linkage Analysis, & Medical Genetics
What is Genomics?
Genomics is the study of all the genes in a person, as well as the interactions of those genes with each other and a person’s environment. All people are 99.9% identical in genetic makeup, but differences in the remaining 0.1% hold important clues about health and disease.