Flu Information for Parents with Young Children
Flu is more dangerous than the common cold for children. Each year flu places a large burden on the health and well-being of children and their families. Annual influenza vaccination is the best method for preventing flu and its potentially severe complications in children.
- Children, the Flu, and the Flu Vaccine
Information about the danger of flu and flu vaccination recommendations for children and their contacts.
- Children and Flu Antiviral Drugs
Information about influenza antiviral drugs; an important treatment option for the flu.
- Questions & Answers: Opening and Mixing Tamiflu® Capsules with Liquids if Child Cannot Swallow Capsules
- Protecting Against the Flu: Advice for Caregivers of Young Children
Research has shown that children younger than 5 years of age are at high risk of serious flu-related complications.
- Flu and Children with Neurologic Conditions
A guide for parents to help protect children with neurologic conditions from flu.
- The Flu: A Guide for Parents [1.97 MB, 2 pages]
Questions and answers about the flu, how to protect your child, treatment, and more
- Hand washing
Tips for parents and children about the steps and benefits of effective hand washing
- Get Smart: Know When Antibiotics Work
Explains why antibiotics don't work for a cold or the flu
- Information for Schools & Childcare Providers
Educators and staff can help slow the spread of respiratory illnesses like colds and influenza (flu).
- Coloring Book PDF: “Are you a flu fighter?” English [8.3 MB, 14 pages], “Eres un luchador contra la influenza?” Spanish [4 MB, 14 pages]
- Why Flu Vaccination Matters: Personal Stories from Families Affected by Influenza
Watch a 1 minute video (MP4 format) about the importance of flu vaccination for children
- New! The Shot by Shot Project-Gigi's Story
A school teacher and mom gives her testimony about the importance of getting a yearly flu vaccine.
- Page last reviewed: August 20, 2015
- Page last updated: August 20, 2015
- Content source: