Yellow Fever Vaccine
A safe and effective yellow fever vaccine has been available for more than 80 years.
- A single dose provides lifelong protection for most people.
- The vaccine is a live, weakened form of the virus given as a single shot.
- Vaccine is recommended for people aged 9 months or older and who are traveling to or living in areas at risk for yellow fever virus in Africa and South America.
- Yellow fever vaccine may be required for entry into certain countries.
- Vaccination requirements and recommendations for specific countries are available on the CDC Travelers’ Health page.
Yellow Fever and Travel
Sanofi Pasteur, the manufacturer of the only yellow fever vaccine (YF-Vax) licensed in the United States, announced that YF-Vax is expected to be available again by mid-2019.
- Page last reviewed: May 4, 2018
- Page last updated: September 4, 2018
- Content source: