CureTB Referral Services
CureTB’s referral services and processes vary by country.
- CureTB refers patients with active (verified and probable) TB to the public health system at their destination in any country outside the United States.
- CureTB sends clinical information with the referral and follows up with the receiving program for treatment outcomes.
Note: CureTB does not routinely offer referrals if a patient requires fewer than 30 days to complete treatment after leaving the United States.
Complete the CureTB Transnational Notification form pdf icon[PDF – 239 KB] for active TB case referrals.
- CureTB can obtain information about your patient’s TB treatment history from public health or private providers in Mexico and Central America.
Note: Cultures and drug susceptibility testing are not routinely performed in Mexico and Central America.
- CureTB notifies Mexican public health authorities for patients diagnosed with TB in the United States who have contacts in Mexico.
- CureTB refers contacts who are under 5 years of age or immunocompromised and relocate to Mexico after being identified in the United States to Mexican public health authorities.
Complete the CureTB Contact/Source Investigation Notification form pdf icon[PDF – 969 KB] for contact notifications to Mexico.
- When a patient with active TB in the United States reports being exposed to a specific person with TB symptoms in Mexico, CureTB can alert Mexican public health authorities to help prevent further spread.
- CureTB prioritizes locating sources for children under 5 years of age with TB.
Complete the CureTB Contact/Source Investigation Notification form pdf icon[PDF – 969 KB] for source case finding in Mexico.
Steps for Treatment Referrals for Active TB
- Step 1: Patient referral to CureTB.
- Step 2: Interview patient—verify locating information.
- Step 3: Refer patient to receiving jurisdiction.
- Step 4: Follow-up.
- Step 5: Final treatment outcome to referring agency.
Tips for a Successful Referral
- Refer early. Let a member of our staff speak to your patients before they leave to establish rapport, clarify CureTB’s role, and get accurate locating information abroad.
- Provide complete laboratory, clinical, and treatment information so we can ensure that the receiving provider is well informed. Provide updates if important clinical information is pending at the time of referral (e.g., drug susceptibility testing results).
- Ask your patient for information about at least two people who will always know where they are and get their best contact information (e.g., phone, address, e-mail). We will also review this information with your patient(s).