LONG-HAUL TRUCK DRIVERS
Long-Haul Truck Drivers: Obesity Can Take You Off The Road
- 7 in 10 long-haul truck drivers are obese – 2 times more than U.S. adult workers.
- Obesity increases the chance for these health problems:
- Type 2 diabetes
- Sleep apnea
- Heart disease
- Joint and back pain
- These problems can disqualify you from receiving your commercial driver’s license (CDL).
- No CDL may be hard on your wallet and your health.
- What can you do to prevent obesity?
- Eat healthy and smaller portion sizes.
- Drink more water instead of sugary drinks like soda.
- Be more physically active.
- Track your weight and body mass.
- Learn more at www.cdc.gov/obesity/strategies/me.html or speak to you doctor
Page last reviewed: March 13, 2018
Content source: National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health