The National Center for Health Statistics ( NCHS) Data Detectives Summer Camp is a Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) camp that focuses on statistics for rising 6th and 7th grade students. This one-week commuter day camp is an exciting opportunity for boys and girls to learn about statistics through a variety of fun, hands-on activities! Statistics and probability concepts are included in K-12 curriculum standards, in particular the Common Core State Standards. Data Detectives Camp activities specifically cover statistical concepts developed during grades 6th and 7th and help to teach kids to think like a data detective by asking the right question, collecting the needed information, analyzing the data, and determining the answer.
The camp is conducted by the National Center for Health Statistics in collaboration with the American Statistical Association, University of Maryland’s School of Public Health, the CDC Museum, the Bureau of Justice Statistics, and the Joint Program in Survey Methodology.
Applying to Camp
- Details on the application process and submission deadlines will be available soon.
- Up to 30 rising 6th and 7th graders will be selected.
- Those who have participated previously should not apply this year.
- There will be an online application to be completed by the student and his or her parent/guardian, as well as, a recommendation form for the student’s math teacher to complete and submit.
Data Detectives Camp 2018
This was the third year of the NCHS Data Detectives Camp. For the first time, the camp was held at NCHS’s headquarters in Hyattsville, Maryland and ran from August 13 – 17 from 9-4 pm daily. About 15 scientists, professors, and staff from NCHS, the American Statistical Association, University of Maryland’s School of Public Health, the Joint Program in Survey Methodology, and other organizations helped to develop the camp logistics and curricula. In 2018, over 100 children nationwide applied for 30 seats.
View the Daily Camp Newsletters
- Data Detectives Camp Newsletter Monday [PDF – 3 MB]
- Data Detectives Camp Newsletter Tuesday [PDF – 3 MB]
- Data Detectives Camp Newsletter Wednesday [PDF – 4 MB]
- Data Detectives Camp Newsletter Thursday [PDF – 3 MB]
Campers learn about statistics from NCHS scientists.
Lunch Time Fun
Campers socialize with new friends over lunch break.
NHANES Trailer Visit
Campers receive a tour of a medical exam trailer.
Ice Cream Social
Campers enjoy ice cream from the UMD Creamery.
Highlights from previous years
- 2016 Data Detectives Camp
- 2017 Data Detectives Camp
Photos from previous years
Beam time and other data are collected to illustrate the concept of distributions.
Lunch Time Fun
Through group learning and activities, campers develop friendships over the course of the week.
Weekly activities culminate in group presentations to solve a crime.
Campers receive certificates of completion from NCHS Director and staff.
- Page last reviewed: January 17, 2019, 03:20 PM
- Page last updated: January 17, 2019, 03:20 PM
- Content source: