COMEC News and Events
COMEC hosts a seminar series focusing on medicolegal death investigation and public health. The virtual seminar takes place on the second Tuesday of every month from 3:00PM– 3:50PM ET via Zoom.
Upcoming topics and speakers
- December 12, 2023: Improving Processes for Identifying and Reporting Disaster-Related Deaths: Project Updates
Arianna Hanchey, Associate Service Fellow, National Center for Environmental Health
Every Thursday, 4:00-5:00pm ET
For technical questions on using FHIR to exchange MDI data
What is COMEC?
The Collaborating Office for Medical Examiners and Coroners (COMEC) provides broad support for public health activities to professionals who conduct medicolegal death investigations (MDIs). COMEC was established in 2022 at CDC in recognition of the important role of medicolegal death investigation for public health and CDC.
Goals of COMEC
- Help foster coordination among public health surveillance efforts and the MDI community
- Promote quality and consistency in death investigations and death certification
- Promote collection, automation, and distribution of MDI data
- Analyze and compile information about MDI infrastructure
- Facilitate information sharing
- State, district, and county medical examiners and coroners
- Professional associations of medical examiners, coroners, and other forensic sciences
- Public health and public safety government agencies
- Federal partners
Inquiries can be directed to MDI@CDC.GOV for any of the follow:
- Programmatic questions and upcoming events questions
- To be placed on the list for our monthly mailing
- To receive access to our SharePoint site for archived seminar recordings and other resources