Stay Tuned for Information on Mental Health
- Any emergency, including those involving radiation, can cause emotional and psychological distress.
- Radiation is a complex topic, and it is unfamiliar to many people, which can make the psychological effects of a radiation disaster stronger.
- Monitoring and treating mental and physical symptoms during a radiation emergency is important for short- and long-term mental health.
- One of the most significant aspects of major radiation emergencies is the potential for long-term effect on people and the environment.
- The long-term recovery process after a radiation emergency can lead to increased emotional and psychological distress.
- Click here for more information on coping with disasters.
Page last reviewed: April 4, 2018
Content source: National Center for Environmental Health (NCEH), Emergency Management, Radiation, and Chemical Branch