05/19/2023: Lab Advisory: COVID-19 CLIA Post-Public Health Emergency Guidance
Audience: Laboratory and Testing Professionals
Level: Laboratory Advisory
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) published Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988 (CLIA) Post-Public Health Emergency (PHE) Guidance on the status of temporary enforcement discretions and other flexibilities CMS utilized during the COVID-19 PHE.
We encourage you to review the guidance and share this message widely with your network(s).
The federal COVID-19 PHE declaration ended on May 11, 2023. Laboratories may be required to continue reporting COVID-19 test results to their state health departments and should check state-specific reporting requirements.
- End of the Federal COVID-19 Public Health Emergency (PHE) Declaration
- COVID-19 Surveillance After Expiration of the Public Health Emergency Declaration
- CDC COVID-19 Homepage
- CDC Laboratory Outreach Communication System (LOCS)
- If you are a clinical or public health laboratory professional, contact LOCS.
- For media inquiries, contact the CDC Newsroom.
- For all other questions, contact CDC-INFO.